cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Raj_Khatri
Advisor
Jump to solution

How to monitor virtual systems on VSX?

We are running R80 MDS and would like to monitor our VSX clusters that are running R77.20 via Solarwinds using SNMP.  Has anyone had any success getting the virtual systems monitored?  Even after modifying the snmp mode from "default" to "vs" we are unable to poll the virtual system.

Could API be used to pull the snmp data?

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Will_H
Contributor

Post R77.30 HFA Hotfix 292 it is supported to monitor some things directly without using SNMP contexts. 

There was a missing step in the SNMP documentation that after putting SNMP in VS mode you also have to 

set snmp vs-direct-access on

You then should be able to add it to your monitoring tool using the VS IP address as a new device

View solution in original post

18 Replies
Will_H
Contributor

Check sk34054

0 Kudos
Raj_Khatri
Advisor

Thanks Will, this SK has been followed.  However, the issue seems to be with Solarwinds as only a single unique node/IP can be added since you have to add the mgmt. interface with specific context.  So adding more than 1 causes a duplicate node conflict.

0 Kudos
zsh
Participant

Hi,
There is a workaround for this. Solarwinds will not allow you to create multiple targets with same IP on the same Poller. However you can change the IP after creating a target and it works.

So for example:
VSX GW = 1.1.1.1

1. You create new target device that should be the VS (snmpv3, configure context etc) with dummy IP, for example 5.5.5.5
2. After this object is created, edit it, and change IP to 1.1.1.1 (ip of the vsxgw)

3. Now you can poll the VS-es

It works, but whether its supported by solarwinds or not I have no idea.

Norman_Zhang
Participant

I have tested this with Solar Winds NPM 12.5. Unfortunately this does not work.

0 Kudos
Maarten_Sjouw
Champion
Champion

I know it will not help you very much at this moment but R80.20 should finally have per VS monitoring on the IP of the VS itself.

Regards, Maarten
0 Kudos
Will_H
Contributor

Post R77.30 HFA Hotfix 292 it is supported to monitor some things directly without using SNMP contexts. 

There was a missing step in the SNMP documentation that after putting SNMP in VS mode you also have to 

set snmp vs-direct-access on

You then should be able to add it to your monitoring tool using the VS IP address as a new device

genisis__
Leader Leader
Leader

I have the same issue.

We have VSX R80.20 which has a number of VS's and VSW's.  The NMS we are using is SolarWinds. I don't currently have VS mode on from an SNMP view. as I want to firstly understand what has to be done not only on a VSX side but also on the SolarWinds side.

At the moment we can poll the appliance (VS0) using SNMPv3 without issue, but when I last tried VS mode on this stopped polling.

My objective is to monitoring the health of the appliance and also monitor VS's ie monitor the interfaces, connection table, bandwidth.

There is a SK from 2016 which implies SolarWinds does not work with Checkpoint VSX, not sure if this really is still relevant, if not then it should be updated.

Are there any actually whitepapers that go through setting monitoring with different NMS?

Maarten_Sjouw
Champion
Champion
When you turn on VS-Mode you also need to allow each user to monitor each VS:
set snmp usm user <v3-User> vsid 0-16
Regards, Maarten
genisis__
Leader Leader
Leader

THanks.

So on the SolarWinds side how do I get to discover the different VS's?  

Maarten_Sjouw
Champion
Champion
You 'should' be able to add them as separate GW's by adding them by their own IP.
Regards, Maarten
genisis__
Leader Leader
Leader

I see, so we basically do an SNMP get to the actual VS IP of choice, I thought the way VSX was designed that the idea was to use to the VSX management IP, then from this you monitor each VS,I suspect via the relevant OID reference.

0 Kudos
Maarten_Sjouw
Champion
Champion
That is indeed the old way and should still work. The method for checking the IP of each VS should work for when you have an implementation like ours, Spectrum as the monitoring system and VSX running for multiple customers, then you need to be able to add each VS in each customers' landscape.
Regards, Maarten
0 Kudos
genisis__
Leader Leader
Leader

Thanks..will try this.

0 Kudos
Norman_Zhang
Participant

Unfortunately this solution does not work with Solar Winds NPM 12.5.

0 Kudos
genisis__
Leader Leader
Leader

Dame!

Now who's issue is it? SolarWinds or Checkpoint.

0 Kudos
Norman_Zhang
Participant

I voted on the feature request at

https://thwack.solarwinds.com/ideas/6087

0 Kudos
Dawei_Ye
Collaborator
Hi Will,

What if my VS run in Bridge mode?
There are no IP addresses in my Virtual Systems.

Regards,
Dawei Ye
0 Kudos
genisis__
Leader Leader
Leader

We have a strange one,  Solarwinds is picking up the VS's but it does not pick up the correct number of cores, and it does not seem to pick up the external IPs assigned to interfaces.  It only seems to pickup the internet IPs (192.168.x.x addresses).

Anyone else had this?

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events