Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
George_Ellis
Advisor
Jump to solution

Decommissioning a management server - Site shutdown - MLM

Hello folks,

There have always been some sticky wickets when stuff disappears and you have to remove it.  I have looked and cannot find or am using all the wrong keywords to "decommission" a management server.  In this case, a MLM.  We have gone through and removed the references in the gateway properties for Logging Primary or Secondary.  We have removed from any FW policies where it was referenced in each domain (objects are local, not global, get used in policy by some rule creators).

What I have never done is remove it completely.  The Domain MLM local object still exists (created when you add the server to all the domains).

I am thinking:

1)  Snapshot
2)  Right click on the column for the MLM in the Multi-Domain, Domains page, and click Delete.

Or are there other steps that we might be missing?

I told one of our PS consultants that this would be a great SK (when I was in PS, we had to write at least 2 SKs to meet requirements for our bonus 😉  )

TIA
George

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
_Val_
Admin
Admin

Thanks. 

Please make sure that you did the following:

1. deleted all CLM servers from each domain
  2. installed DB on all domains

If this is the case, login to the global domain,, make sure there are no other admin sessions at this time, install DB and try removing MLM object once again. Check $MDSDIR/logs/cpm.elg for errors. There should be some more details about removing MLM object.

Install DB again and run cpstop/cpstart on your MDMS, or reboot it. 

If after all things above, you still have MLM showing up, it is a good idea to open a TAC case. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
_Val_
Admin
Admin

Let's start with the basics. What version are you using?

0 Kudos
George_Ellis
Advisor

R81.10 T 79

0 Kudos
_Val_
Admin
Admin

Thanks. 

Please make sure that you did the following:

1. deleted all CLM servers from each domain
  2. installed DB on all domains

If this is the case, login to the global domain,, make sure there are no other admin sessions at this time, install DB and try removing MLM object once again. Check $MDSDIR/logs/cpm.elg for errors. There should be some more details about removing MLM object.

Install DB again and run cpstop/cpstart on your MDMS, or reboot it. 

If after all things above, you still have MLM showing up, it is a good idea to open a TAC case. 

0 Kudos
_Val_
Admin
Admin

I forgot to ask, was that MLM on the same version? Or was it on a lower one?

0 Kudos
George_Ellis
Advisor

Same version.  That must be new... Never been able to run MDMs and MLMs that were not even the same take level.

0 Kudos
_Val_
Admin
Admin

Not new, but never mind.

Please go over what I suggested above and let me know.

0 Kudos
Wolfgang
Authority
Authority

First of all, it's always a good idea to remove unused things. Often they are having a long life.

Remove your object from all domains, search for the IP address and the name in every domain and remove all. Do you use SmartEvent ? Maybe your removable LogServer is used to get the logs into SmartEvent, remove it. 

Then you'll be save and remove as described.

0 Kudos
_Val_
Admin
Admin

I take it that it worked?

0 Kudos
George_Ellis
Advisor

Not yet... Change Management...

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events