cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Duane_Toler
Advisor

Another config_system flaw, line 1178

Hey folks (mostly R&D),

This section of code in /bin/config_system is flawed, line 1178.  I'll open a TAC case as well.

vi +1178 /bin/config_system:

if [[ $is_maintenance_pw_not_mandatory == $TRUE ]]; then
                #is_maintenance_pw_not_mandatory is a flag for cloud usage. If 'true' then ignore maintenance validation
                log "is_maintenance_pw_not_mandatory flag detetected. Passing validation for maintenance password."
        else
                is_default_maintenance_pw=$(dbget grub2pwd:changeme)
                if [ $is_default_maintenance_pw -eq 1 ] && [ -z "$maintenance_hash" ]; then
                        ERROR_MSG="$MSG1 maintenance_hash";
                        return 1;
                fi
        fi

The "else" clause is the problematic section, with the 'dbget' command.  For a net-new R81.20 install, on open server (PHY or VM) the Anaconda installer forces a maintenance password to be set.  Ergo, "grub2pwd:changeme" in /config/active will not exist, and will return either a null value or an empty value.  The return code ($?) will be "1", not "0".   Since the return value is either null or blank, the "-eq 1" in the test section will fail for being a textual comparison, not a numerical comparison.  This results in an error from bash:  "-eq 1: Unary operator expected".

This one tiny error caused my whole R81.20 install with config_system to fail today.  On the second install, I edited that section to have it work.  I did follow the instruction to collect the current maintenance hash and add it to the FTW config file, since it's now required, but that wasn't relevant since the "-z" test wasn't the problem.

If you want to check the return code of dbget, that's not how you do it. A better way to force the numerical comparison is to use the (( .. )) test method.  This ensures non-numerical values are unmatched safely, giving you a chance to recover in an 'else' clause. 

My edit was a quick-and-simple one; just enough to pass the test and move along:

dbget grub2pwd:changeme
                is_default_maintenance_pw=$?

These values weren't used anywhere else in the script, and the maintenance password hash was already set, so nothing was really affected either way.

I did notice for CloudGuard installs that "grub2pwd:changeme" did exist in /config/active by default, and with the default CONFD value of "1" as expected, which caused the test to pass as written.  Looks like some missed a Cloud-vs-NotCloud scenario.

I hope this helps the next poor soul doing a net-new open server install.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Duane_Toler
Advisor

SR  6-0003766831 opened, for anyone following along at home

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Seems like a simple enough fix, thanks for reporting!

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events