Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
S_E_
Advisor
Jump to solution

After MGMT upgrade to R80.40 - backups are smaller

Hi

just recognized that after upgrade from R80.30 to R80.40 &JHF of a SMS / MDS the size of the backup / mds_backup are dramatically smaller.  30-40% less which is great. Less than 20 GB now.

Tried to understand the reason behind and saw that they  are much less on the updated box:

- mgmt_backup_dump_gaia.gz is much smaller (what is that?)

- a lot of logs have been deleted or not converted (journal.csv, RFL.log, solr.log)

Do you recognize the same?

Or did we simply have had suboptimal configuration which creates tons of logs.

Regards

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Itai_Minuhin
Employee
Employee

Hi, 

This is correct.

When upgrading a MGMT sever / MDS from R80.20 or higher version, the upgrade is being done by a new process (under the hood). In the new upgrade process only the latest revision is being upgraded. More information and behavioral changes can be found in sk163814.

This may explain the smaller backup size after upgrade form R80.30 to 80.40.

Thanks, 

Itai

View solution in original post

9 Replies
the_rock
Legend
Legend

I noticed something very similar on regular firewalls before as well, specially comparing size of scheduled backups after upgrade. Oddly enough, I noticed same difference in backup size in cluster config, though that could be expected, as only master would process traffic, so thats probably normal.

I really cannot say why upgrade would cause that issue, as I had never seen it back in R77 and before that days, but in R80, maybe since database is way different, not really sure.

Might be worth asking TAC about it...would be nice to get official answer.

0 Kudos
KostasGR
Advisor

Hello

They are smaller because there are not containing database revisions that were created during r80.30 lifetime.

BR,
Kostas

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Well, you do make a point there, but not everyone was making database revisions back before R80 though : )

0 Kudos
KostasGR
Advisor

Database sessions then :). Let's wait an official answer.

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Sorry, just re-read your response...wait, I thought its exactly the same how those changes are saves automatically in any R80 version. I dont believe its different in R80.40 compared to R80.30, but I could be wrong.

0 Kudos
KostasGR
Advisor

After the upgrade to r80.40 the database sessions concerning r80.30 are not included at r80.40 backup files because they don't have any value for restore as far as i understand it.

0 Kudos
S_E_
Advisor

Hi,

at least I can confirm that all old (R80.30) revisions were gone after upgrade. And this was definitely quite a lot.

Thanks, Regards

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Thats good to know...what folder are they stored in R80? I know its different than R77

0 Kudos
Itai_Minuhin
Employee
Employee

Hi, 

This is correct.

When upgrading a MGMT sever / MDS from R80.20 or higher version, the upgrade is being done by a new process (under the hood). In the new upgrade process only the latest revision is being upgraded. More information and behavioral changes can be found in sk163814.

This may explain the smaller backup size after upgrade form R80.30 to 80.40.

Thanks, 

Itai

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events