Past few weeks I've been prepping for this weekend's 80.40 upgrade.
Upgrading 2 MDS servers (3150's) from 80.30 to 80.40. Taking our 5150 SmartEvent and 5150 Log server along for the ride.
I've completed two full upgrade tests and a partial (primary MDS only) test in VMWare Workstation.
Here's how it works:
Backup primary and backup MDS servers (mds_backup -l).
Load up 80.30 JFT 155 in VM
Import the backups (SCP gtar, gzip, mds_restore and backup file)
Test the upgrade.
Here's some findings that I want to get out there into the Googleplex incase anyone else runs into the issues.
With 80.40, you've got to install the Upgrade tools package wrapper that matches the version of Gaia you want to install too. See SK135172 for more details. MAKE SURE YOU USE INTERNET EXPLORER TO DOWNLOAD THIS FILE. I yelled about that requirement. But got my re-end kicked up until I did. I'd been using Chrome and Firefox and the file just would not work. TAC came back with the IE requirement.
After getting it downloaded correctly I struggled with this on my lab primary MDS. The error would come up that a newer version was already installed even though none had been installed.
To solve this issue we had to reset the database (got this from TAC):
cpprod_util CPPROD_SetValue CPupgrade-tools-R80.40 BuildNumber 1 1 1
After issuing that command in BASH, I was able to successfully import the upgrade tools (I had this issue repeatedly on each test pass).
Also make sure you're using latest GA deployment agent.
The only other issue I ran into in the lab was a validation error after the upgrade completed and I started up SmartDashboard.
The error was related to the value Network defined by routes -> Set default update time value (seconds). In my production 80.30 environment that value is 0. 80.40 doesn't like that one bit.
To fix it (I strongly recommend doing this BEFORE upgrading to 80.40 - you must make sure your assignments are up to date prior to the upgrader being run):
From your MDS console click on Preferences -> Network defined by routes -> Set default update time value (seconds) to something that is not zero.
Publish your changes.
Open your global CMA click Manage & Settings -> Preferences -> Network defined by routes -> Set default update time value (seconds) to something that is not zero.
Publish your changes.
Go back to your MDS console -> Global Assignments
Assign Drop down -> Reassign
This worked like a champ on my 3rd pass of testing the upgrade.
Hopefully there are no weird gotchyas like bad optical NIC drivers like there was in 80.30 that bit me and we have smooth sailing come Saturday's production upgrade time!