cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wolfgang
Authority
Authority

Secondary IP for SMO

I‘m sure that does not work, but I‘m trying here to ask, maybe someone has an idea….

Maestro dual site environment (only one MHO at both sides)  requires a magg with one interface from every MHO. This interface has to be on the same VLAN and share the SMOs IP address. Normally this IP address is active on one site and in case of site failover this address failover to the surviving site.

But, is it possible to have and use another IP address and VLAN on the second site? Meaning address 10.10.10.1 if active on site A and address 10.10.20.1 if active on site B. Maybe something like a secondary IP address on the management interface. They should not be active all the time, we are looking for a way manage site A via one IP and in failover case via second IP on site B.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

UIPC (Unique IP per Chassis / Site) was an option on SP in the past.

Suggest discussing the different information seen in sk173183 vs sk148074 for clarification with your local SE.

@Lari_Luoma Do you have any additional Intel here?

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
Lari_Luoma
Ambassador Ambassador
Ambassador

@Wolfgang What you describe is the idea of UIPC (Unique IP per chassis). However, it has never worked with different IP-spaces. UIPC added an alias IP to the management interface, but the IP had to be from the same network as the primary management IP. I haven't tested UIPC in Maestro and don't see much use for it anyway, because each MHO has their own management IP that can be used to connect each site.

Can you elaborate your use case?

0 Kudos
Wolfgang
Authority
Authority

@Lari_Luoma  we have an existing management network at both sites and it will be simple using this. But this network is not spanned via Layer 2 at both sites. As I understand at the moment there is no solution. We had to create a new subnet for both sites.

0 Kudos
Lari_Luoma
Ambassador Ambassador
Ambassador

Right, you cannot have own management addresses per site in this topology. Remember that Maestro is still one entity in the network and dual site setup expects you have all networks extended between the sites. If this is not the case, it is best to install two single sites, instead of one dual site. If you want to protect two data centers, having a single site Maestro on each is the best practice anyway.

0 Kudos