Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Daniel_Kavan
Advisor
Jump to solution

ssh terminates at firewall

I'm being asked

Is every connection to an external network terminated at a firewall?  I think the answer is no.  I mean we do allow some ssh connections thru the firewall, then it would terminate at server X for example not the firewall.  If it's idle or not closing in a certain amount of time then the firewall would terminate the connection.  Or if a linux admin was on server X they could kill the connetion.   So, I don't think I can say EVERY ssh connection is terminated on the firewall.  Agreed?     Or am I reading the question wrong?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

The only connections outbound that would terminate on the firewall, in most cases, is when proxy mode or HTTPS Inspection is used.
Even with SSH Inspection (not enabled by default), that applies only to inbound connections (not outbound ones).

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Daniel_Kavan
Advisor

This looks like a commonly asked question.  https://networkengineering.stackexchange.com/questions/70734/what-does-terminating-incoming-connecti...  It looks like the word "terminate" can be ambiguous.   It can mean as a filter or as a tunnel.

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

The only connections outbound that would terminate on the firewall, in most cases, is when proxy mode or HTTPS Inspection is used.
Even with SSH Inspection (not enabled by default), that applies only to inbound connections (not outbound ones).

the_rock
Legend
Legend

The answer is 100% no, as you indicated. What @PhoneBoy said makes total sense.

Best,

Andy

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events