Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nelson_Wong
Explorer
Jump to solution

Upgrade from R77.30 to R80.30

Hi all,

I have 1 SMS with using open server and 2 gateway (cluster) with using appliance 4600. Both of them are 32bit OS.

I would like to upgrade these server to r80.30 and using 64bit OS.

What are requirements of hardware and software? (e.g. CPU Core, RAM, disk space)

How do I upgrade SMS and gateways?

Can I upgrade without downtime?

Thank you for your answering.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin
In R80,x, the status of the gateways should be viewed in SmartConsole, not SmartUpdate.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin
You are correct, the issue with SmartUpdate is merely cosmetic.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin
The hardware requirements are documented in the R80.30 Release Notes: https://sc1.checkpoint.com/documents/R80.30/WebAdminGuides/EN/CP_R80.30_RN/html_frameset.htm

You upgrade the SMS first, which should not involve any downtime since the gateways will continue to pass traffic and will temporarily store logs locally until the management server comes back up and you push policy to the gateways.

The R80.30 Installation and Upgrade guide covers the different upgrade methods for both Management and Gateways, which also includes different methods for upgrading clusters with different levels of downtime. See: https://sc1.checkpoint.com/documents/R80.30/WebAdminGuides/EN/CP_R80.30_Installation_and_Upgrade_Gui...

If you have specific questions after reading all this, ask away.
0 Kudos
Nelson_Wong
Explorer
I also have a number of site-to-site VPN and a Remote VPN. WIll these traffics be interrupted?
0 Kudos
_Val_
Admin
Admin

Look for "Connectivity Upgrade" in R80.30 Installation and Upgrade Guide. With CU path, it is possible to upgrade almost seamlessly 

However, for practical purposes, I would advise planning a short service interruptions anyway.

0 Kudos
Nelson_Wong
Explorer
I have upgraded the SMS to R80.30. However, I found that I cannot get data from FW. The status shown as "Execution error".

How can I fix this issue?
0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin
Since I'm not sure what the context that error message has, please provide a screenshot.
0 Kudos
Nelson_Wong
Explorer

Please take a took in Operation Status session. CP-FW1 and CP-FW status are shown as Execution error.

Cannot_Getting_Data_from_FW_in_SmartUpdate.PNG

I found a KB for this issue:

https://supportcenter.checkpoint.com/supportcenter/portal?eventSubmit_doGoviewsolutiondetails=&solut...

However, I have no idea how I can be done in solution step 1.

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin
In general, we have not updated SmartUpdate much for R80.x.
What is it you are trying to do with SmartUpdate?

If you're trying to kick off an upgrade, this should be done with CPUSE on the gateway, not with SmartUpdate.
License management can be done on the CLI.
0 Kudos
Nelson_Wong
Explorer
I am not using SmartUpdate. Here is my upgraded steps:
1. Export existing SMS (R77.30) using migration tools.
2. Shutdown existing SMS (R77.30).
3. Fresh Install a new SMS (R80.30)
4. Import to new SMS (R80.30) using migration tools.
5. Install Policy.
6. Go to SmartUpdate and get data from SMS and cluster gateways.

In normal, all the devices status should be shown as 'Get Gateway Data' completed successfully, but now only SMS can be got.

So, I would like to ask how I can fix this issue.

Thank you.
0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin
In R80,x, the status of the gateways should be viewed in SmartConsole, not SmartUpdate.
0 Kudos
Nelson_Wong
Explorer
So, should I not care on this issue? If the license status shown as OK in SmartConsole, it is normal. Am I right?
0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin
You are correct, the issue with SmartUpdate is merely cosmetic.
0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events