cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kryten
Collaborator

Trusted CA List is missing a lot

Hello Mates!

I am currently working to enable HTTPS Inspection for a customer. After configuring the basics (CA cert import, basic ruleset, Manual Update of Trusted CA List), we enabled the Inspection for a testing Host and noticed that a lot of URLs were still causing Warnings in the browser about the connection not beeing secure.

After checking the logs, I noticed that there were a lot of logs for the Inspection Blade showing "action: Detect" and "HTTPS Validation: Untrusted Certificate"

I did a manual update of the Trusted CA List before, so I was a bit surprised to see that things were still missing there. After checking all the URLs used for testing and what certs they use, I started importing the missing certs one by one. That is a lot of manual work and when I look at what certs were missing there, I get the impression that I did somethign wrong, or missed something, as I would have thought that the List provided from Check Point would contain popular and often used CA certs like "Amazon Root CAx" , the main Microsoft Azure root CAs, DigiCert root CAs or Let's Encrypt CAs for example.

I imported around 12 certs manually now but still see a lot of "Untrusted Certificate" warnings in the Logs. This is only for one Host so far that I used for testing. I can only imagine what would have happened if we would have activated this for a bigger number of users right away.

So my questions abnout this:

1. Did I miss something here or is it really expected behaviour? Is it really required for using HTTPS Inspection to check a lot of URLs for certs and import a lot of certs manually??

2. I suspect the manually imported certificates will also not be updated automatically, so is it required to regular check this list for outdated manually imported certs?

Any Tips that help with this are welcome!

Best Regards,

Alex

10 Replies
the_rock
Legend
Legend

What version is this Alex? I can send you updated R81.20 list if you like.

Andy

0 Kudos
Kryten
Collaborator

Its R81.10 in this case.

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

K, great. I attached most updated CA list from R81.20 and all you would need to do is upload the file as per below. Now, I gave it to folks on here before and it never caused any issues, but just a small disclaimer, keep in mind there is always a small chance it could, just saying : - )

Best,

Andy

From legacy dashboard (where you would import the file)

Screenshot_1.png

0 Kudos
Kryten
Collaborator

Thank you, that could be really helpful and a big time saver.

I still wonder though how this is supposed to be done when there is no one around to provide a better list 🙂

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

All you would need to do is upload it, save, push policy, thats it. I cant say for sure it would solve the issue, but I would be shocked if it made it worse.

Andy

0 Kudos
CheckPointerXL
Advisor

Hello Kryten,

Importoning CA list will not fix it, i had same problem on other customers.

Try this: select all CA in list (select the first one and shift+click mouse until the latest on list) and delete all. Don't be scared (save button is needed), the list will be populated with ALL CA this time.

I did onto two customers

Let us know

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Never really heard of that method. I gave updated CA zip file to 5 clients and worked every single time.

Andy

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

In R81.20 and above, this list should get updated by default.
In R81.10, follow the steps here to ensure this is updated automatically: https://support.checkpoint.com/results/sk/sk173629
For other releases, see: https://support.checkpoint.com/results/sk/sk64521 

If something is missing in our CA list that should be there, please consult with TAC: https://help.checkpoint.com 

caw001
Employee
Employee

Check this as well.  May need to open a case with TAC - https://support.checkpoint.com/results/sk/sk180507

the_rock
Legend
Legend

Funny story about that sk lol. So couple of months ago I was on the phone with customer who had exact same issue and TAC guy gave them the same sk and since Im not a big fan of installing these custom fixes (been there, done that), TAC guy said, well if you have fresh R81.20 mgmt server, you can simply give customer updated zip file from mgmt database folder to upload to their R81.10 server. I spun one up on eve-ng in 10 mins, installed latest jumbo, in 30 mins issue was fixed 🙂

Best,

Andy

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events