cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
D_W
Advisor

SmartConsole enhance visibility

Hi Mates,

in SmartConsole with larger rule sets and many layers and section titles etc the visibility starts to lag.
I don't know if it's only me or also for others hard to read as well.

Layers get intended well that's a start but not enough from my point of view.
My suggestion would be to highlight or mark the parts of the Rules of Layers/Sections, to easily see what belongs together.

The screenshot is not the solution I want to achieve but only shows highlighted a mix of Layers and Sections.
Maybe thicker borders will help or shadows or ... maybe someone else has more ideas?!

image.png

Cheers,
David

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Bob_Zimmerman
Authority
Authority

I personally think a stack at the top showing each expandable item in the path to the current view would be good. Apple added this to Xcode 15, and it's really nice on smaller screens. As you scroll down, containers get pinned to the top and subsequent lines scroll by under them.Xcode 15 context.jpg

In that example, you can see it has skipped some lines between the "struct DonutBarChart" on line 24 and the "var body" on line 33. Scroll down past the end of the "var body" block, and "var barChart" on line 41 will get pinned to the second level.

It's hard to explain, but incredibly obvious what's going on when you see it in action.

0 Kudos
D_W
Advisor

Very nice idea. Maybe not so easy to implement and should be optional because it might confuse people.
Visual Studio Code also has this feature called "sticky scroll".
Tried to insert a gif as example but it's not working here. If someone is interested try to search "sticky scroll gif" in the search tool of your choice.

And now that you mentioned this, code editors have other interesting ideas as well to mark sections.
Like stashed lines/coloring. Or highlighting everything that belongs together of a selected section.
image.png

0 Kudos
Bob_Zimmerman
Authority
Authority

Even pinning just the current section header to the top would be a big improvement.

Screenshot 2024-07-23 at 09.30.18.png

0 Kudos
Tal_Paz-Fridman
Employee
Employee

Hi David,

Thank you for the valuable input.

I will forward it to the relevant owners in R&D and Product Design.

Tal

the_rock
Legend
Legend

Glad you brought this up, it really is an EXCELLENT point, noticed it before with couple of customers. But then, we ended up using web smart console and it was fine, but it would be nice to have this fixed.

Andy

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events