Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ramakrishnan
Contributor
Jump to solution

Smart console vs gaia

HI All,

I am newbie to CP. Sorry for silly Q.

What's the significant difference SmartConsole and Gaia.?

Can I assume Gaia portal is completely management CP platform rather Smartconsole working in the platform where we have granular control over CP software ?

I have been provided RO access, I am able to login to Gaia port[HTTPS] but unable to login thru SmartConsole. similarly I am unable to access any firewall thru somartconsole. Is that something related with RO access?

I have been provided MDS server RO access, after I login over Gaia[https] unable to see option Gateway, Is that something limitation with Gaia or RO. To getting GW view need to login thru Smartconsole?

Re,

Ram

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Vincent_Bacher
Advisor
Advisor

Hi,
Gaia portal is to configure operating system parameters like interfaces, dns, local admin users and so on.
All settings "above" like firewall policy, all other security blade settings and so on are done via SmartConsole and pushed to the gateway by installing the policy package.
Why you cannot access the management at the moment is bit complicated to understand and explain without knowing your environment.
Maybe it would be helpful to book a CCSA training to learn checkpoint architecture and to understand how it works.

cheers

and now to something completely different - CCVS, CCAS, CCTE, CCCS, CCSM elite

View solution in original post

Tal_Paz-Fridman
Employee
Employee

To add on what Vincent_Bacher wrote - 

Gaia Portal is a used to configure a wide variety of settings directly on the specific machine. SmartConsole is used to centrally manage all your Quantum environment and your policies.

Regarding the access issue, Gaia administrator and SmartConsole (Management) administrator are not the same. You can use one just to access Gaia Portal (or Gaia on the machine) while the other can be used to login using SmartConsole or perform certain  administrative operation on the Security Management Server.

Make sure you have both with their respective credentials.

Thanks

Tal

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Vincent_Bacher
Advisor
Advisor

Hi,
Gaia portal is to configure operating system parameters like interfaces, dns, local admin users and so on.
All settings "above" like firewall policy, all other security blade settings and so on are done via SmartConsole and pushed to the gateway by installing the policy package.
Why you cannot access the management at the moment is bit complicated to understand and explain without knowing your environment.
Maybe it would be helpful to book a CCSA training to learn checkpoint architecture and to understand how it works.

cheers

and now to something completely different - CCVS, CCAS, CCTE, CCCS, CCSM elite
Tal_Paz-Fridman
Employee
Employee

To add on what Vincent_Bacher wrote - 

Gaia Portal is a used to configure a wide variety of settings directly on the specific machine. SmartConsole is used to centrally manage all your Quantum environment and your policies.

Regarding the access issue, Gaia administrator and SmartConsole (Management) administrator are not the same. You can use one just to access Gaia Portal (or Gaia on the machine) while the other can be used to login using SmartConsole or perform certain  administrative operation on the Security Management Server.

Make sure you have both with their respective credentials.

Thanks

Tal

G_W_Albrecht
Legend
Legend
0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events