SPM
Contributor
Jump to solution

R80.30 Take 273 vs Take 300

Hi,

I am a bit confused about all these Takes

I have R80.30 kernel 3.10 Security Gateway Take 273

Now I see that R80.30 Take 300 emerged

is it a different version or just an update??
what is the difference between Take 273 and Take 300

Then there are Jumbo Hotfix Takes with theirs numbers
I thought that once released a major version like R80.30 Take 273
All you need to keep the software up to date is installing Jumbo Hotfix Takes

But now I am confused

Should I update from Take 273 to Take 300?
Will Take 273 run out of support earlier then Take 300?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dorit_Dor
Employee
Employee

Too much deep dive so lets make it simple: 

If you have Take 273 installed already, use it and on top of it install Jumbo 76 (or since its still on going or wait for GA of the post 76 jumbo) 

If you want to install something new, install take 300 as indicated in sk152652 (Check Point R80.30 with Gaia 3.10) because its better...  still either now or when jumbo later than 76 gets GA, install it. 

In both cases you end up w the same level of SW and the same fixes 

More generally: In recent years we are very methodological in publishing main versions SKs where we  recommend the correct takes and jumbo's on regular basis so if we replaced something with something new, its because its better and still using Jumbo we will bring the two to the same level  (it helps us support the customers and help the customers have consistent version). We treat these recommendations very carefully and we make things recommended only after they have significant field initial exposure. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Dorit_Dor
Employee
Employee

1. These are full [iso] images that were released w new appliances. On top of them one should install jumbo - jumbo 76 works on all (regular image and new images). 

2. the numbers refer to full name (iso or jumbo) and the name include reference to jumbo. More importantly, once you install jumbo that is superset, its no longer important what image you used

3. Why two images? There were two separate steps of releasing new appliances and the jumbo that included all fixes didnt exist yet (obviously) so the base image of the new appliance contained fixes that were not at that time in jumbo 50 which was the last available and immediately after, we created jumbo 76 that include all fixed that are part of these images

4. so these are “base” image that you will find on the new appliances and if you add jumbo 76, you get to the same level of original ga plus jumbo 76. For all practical purposes you can see image 300 as replacing image 273 by adding more fixes, but we are transparent to the fact that both are out 

Hope its as clear as it gets 

0 Kudos
SPM
Contributor

Thanks Dorit_Dor

I am starting to understand

One more clarification

So if I on top of R80.30 Take 273 install Jumbo Hotfix Take 76 then I will end up with R80.30 Take 300,

It will be the same like fresh installation of R80.30 Take 300 right?

Dorit_Dor
Employee
Employee

Too much deep dive so lets make it simple: 

If you have Take 273 installed already, use it and on top of it install Jumbo 76 (or since its still on going or wait for GA of the post 76 jumbo) 

If you want to install something new, install take 300 as indicated in sk152652 (Check Point R80.30 with Gaia 3.10) because its better...  still either now or when jumbo later than 76 gets GA, install it. 

In both cases you end up w the same level of SW and the same fixes 

More generally: In recent years we are very methodological in publishing main versions SKs where we  recommend the correct takes and jumbo's on regular basis so if we replaced something with something new, its because its better and still using Jumbo we will bring the two to the same level  (it helps us support the customers and help the customers have consistent version). We treat these recommendations very carefully and we make things recommended only after they have significant field initial exposure. 

SPM
Contributor

Thank a lot for detailed explanation

I think I've got it

So as I understood it, Take 273 and 300 represent the starting point, from which image you started using R80.30 system.

But applying Jumbo Hotfixes to Take 273 and 300 you eventually end up with the same software when available Jumbo Hotfix Take will be the same number for both 273 and 300 Takes

0 Kudos
J_B
Collaborator

This may also help sk153152 

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events