cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
whoa
Participant
Jump to solution

R77.30 Management Console cannot install Jumbo Hotfix Accumulator

I have an old Checkpoint implementation that for years I have on again/off again tried to upgrade to R80. This is more of a lab situation but there are production aspects that make this desirable for upgrade.

I cannot use CPUSE (due network architecture) and can only do this locally. I have downloaded the R77.30 jumbo hotfix accumulator and was able to successfully upgrade the firewall (that is also running R77.30). The issues with the SMS is that the installer does not have the import function:

mgmt> installer
download - Download a selected package
install - Install a selected package
restore_policy - Restore the default update policy
start - Start the installer service
stop - Stop the installer service
uninstall - Uninstall a selected package
upgrade - Upgrade a selected package

and when I try to upload the package to SmartUpdate I receive this:

File was successfully transferred to the Security Management Server Mar 01, 2023 08:29:27
Adding package to the repository Mar 01, 2023 08:29:27
Getting the package type... Mar 01, 2023 08:30:32
Extracting the package files... Mar 01, 2023 08:30:32
Unable to detect the type of the package. Check that the file is a valid package. Mar 01, 2023 08:30:32

So Im not sure why the Firewall had the import functionality but it did and the update was not an issue. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Thanks for confirming.

Just to make a succinct answer, any version upgrade requires the latest version of Deployment Agent to be installed beforehand (see sk92449).
If the version you're upgrading from is particularly old (and especially if "installer import" isn't a valid command), the Deployment Agent needs to be manually installed the following way:

1. Unpack the *.tgz until you have the CPda-00-00.i386.rpm
  2. Transfer the CPda-00-00.i386.rpm to the Gaia machine
  3. Install the updated CPUSE Agent from the Expert mode:
    [Expert@Host]# rpm -Uhv --force CPda-00-00.i386.rpm
  4. Kill all running Clish daemons (they will be restarted automatically):
    [Expert@Host]# killall -v clish clishd
  5. Restart the ConfD daemon: 
    [Expert@Host]# tellpm process:confd
    [Expert@Host]# tellpm process:confd t
  6. Start the CPUSE Agent manually:
    [Expert@Host]# $DADIR/bin/dastart

This should not require a reboot.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
whoa
Participant
0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

SmartUpdate cannot be used to install CPUSE packages.

Try updating the Deployment Agent manually from: https://supportcenter.checkpoint.com/supportcenter/portal?eventSubmit_doGoviewsolutiondetails=&solut... 
See if the "installer import" command comes back after that.

whoa
Participant

I have been reluctant to do that since it says the versions are for r80.10+, but since you are saying give it a go - I will give it a go!

the_rock
Legend
Legend

I hate to say this, but I dont think you have too many other options : - )

0 Kudos
whoa
Participant

Indeed. The summary of what I had to do is it did work. The longer story is I had to SCP the file onto the box; untar it (which gave me an .rpm file); installed the rpm by forcing the installation (several conflicts); and then reboot the box. After all of that, I now have the import option!

I have SCP'd the R77.30 Jumbo HF Accumulator to the box, imported it and its now installing it. Every other attempt through any other means has failed. With that said I am very optimistic this will work because it worked on the Firewall.

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Thanks for confirming.

Just to make a succinct answer, any version upgrade requires the latest version of Deployment Agent to be installed beforehand (see sk92449).
If the version you're upgrading from is particularly old (and especially if "installer import" isn't a valid command), the Deployment Agent needs to be manually installed the following way:

1. Unpack the *.tgz until you have the CPda-00-00.i386.rpm
  2. Transfer the CPda-00-00.i386.rpm to the Gaia machine
  3. Install the updated CPUSE Agent from the Expert mode:
    [Expert@Host]# rpm -Uhv --force CPda-00-00.i386.rpm
  4. Kill all running Clish daemons (they will be restarted automatically):
    [Expert@Host]# killall -v clish clishd
  5. Restart the ConfD daemon: 
    [Expert@Host]# tellpm process:confd
    [Expert@Host]# tellpm process:confd t
  6. Start the CPUSE Agent manually:
    [Expert@Host]# $DADIR/bin/dastart

This should not require a reboot.

0 Kudos
whoa
Participant

It did work and its now installed and rebooted. I did a 'show installer packages all' and I see the Jumbo HF Accumulator installed.

So with all of that said I now want to upgrade to R80.40. According to my research I should be able to do that upgrade. My intention is to do a fresh installation. So I have through GAIA done a system backup and downloaded that file. I should be able to install the R80.40 GAIA installation and then restore the backup file through GAIA, reboot and I should be at R80.40 correct?

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Gaia backup and restore only works to the same version/JHF level.
If you try it, you may get something like this: https://supportcenter.checkpoint.com/supportcenter/portal?eventSubmit_doGoviewsolutiondetails=&solut... 

The correct method is to do an Advanced Upgrade.
This requires downloading the R80.40 migration tools and performing a migrate export from the management station.
You will then use the migrate import command to import this configuration to the freshly installed R80.40 system (should be done from ISO). 
If you intend to use the same hardware as your existing R77.30 management, I recommend testing this process in a virtual machine first to ensure there are no issues. 

Note this does not migrate Gaia OS settings, this can be done using the output of "show configuration" or similar.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

Thu 25 Apr 2024 @ 11:00 AM (SGT)

APAC: CPX 2024 Recap

Tue 30 Apr 2024 @ 03:00 PM (CDT)

EMEA: CPX 2024 Recap

Wed 01 May 2024 @ 02:00 PM (EDT)

South US: HTTPS Inspection Best Practices

Thu 02 May 2024 @ 11:00 AM (SGT)

APAC: What's new in R82

Thu 25 Apr 2024 @ 11:00 AM (SGT)

APAC: CPX 2024 Recap

Tue 30 Apr 2024 @ 03:00 PM (CDT)