cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jesus_Cano
Collaborator

Procedure upgrade R80.20 Smartevent

Hi,

We are upgrading from R77.30 to R80.20 our checkpoint platform. The SMS is smart1-210. We will do a fresh install and migrate import. But we have doubts about the smartevent upgrade procedure. The smartevent is in the same SMS, not external server. So what is the procedure to upgrade smartevent? do we need to touch anything or enable anything after upgrading to R80.20?

Running the preupgrade verifier, we received this: SmartEvent Server Blade.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Vladimir
Champion
Champion

You are seeing this because Smart-210 cannot be the Management, SmartLog and SmartEvent at the same time:

image.png

0 Kudos
Jesus_Cano
Collaborator

YEs, we upgraded the RAM memory to 16GB. So now we can have smartevent in the same server, My questions is: which is the procedure to upgrade Smartevent included in the SMS?. DO we need to enable anything? what are the steps to do fro migrate smartevent from R77.30 to R80.20?

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

Um, the Smart-1 210 only has 2 cores.  I'm pretty sure 4 cores are required to use SMS w/ SmartEvent, or at least that factor dictates whether SmartEvent is enabled by default.  I guess you can enable SmartEvent with 16GB of RAM but the performance with only two cores also trying to perform SMS functions as well will most certainly not be stellar.

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
0 Kudos
Vladimir
Champion
Champion

My point being that you CANNOT run smartevent on the same Smart-1 210 as the SMS at all in the absence of the separate log server capable of indexing:

image.png

0 Kudos
Jesus_Cano
Collaborator

OK, we can have smarcenter and smartevent in the same machine SMART1-210 for R80.20? 

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

If you're doing a migrate export/import, to migrate the existing event database, see: https://supportcenter.checkpoint.com/supportcenter/portal?eventSubmit_doGoviewsolutiondetails=&solut...
0 Kudos
Jesus_Cano
Collaborator

So what is the recommended steps to upgrade SMS with smartevent in the same box. upgrade vía CPUSE or clean installation and migrate import? It neccesary to do anything related to smartevent to work in R80.20 after upgrading?

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

If you do an in-place upgrade, you will not get the benefit of the xfs filesystem that was added in R80.20 (which improves performance a bit).
As such, a migrate export/import is probably a good idea in this case.
If you don't migrate the event database, it will rebuild it from the last 14 days of logs I believe.
0 Kudos
Jesus_Cano
Collaborator

Just one thing, when you run the clean installation for SMS, you are asked for the product "installing smartcenter primary,secondary or smartevent". So i suppose to configure smartcenter primary, right?. Although then i can enable smartevent in the same box.

primary.JPG 

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

Select SmartCenter Primary, SmartEvent can be enabled later.

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events