cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fab
Participant

Monitoring Check Point via SNMPv3 and telegraf

Hi,

I want to monitor Check Point Systems via SNMPv3 and telegraf but having strange problems. Already asked about it over @ telegaf[1] but haven't got an answer.

Long story short, when trying to monitor any Check Point Cluster (besides one out of a bunch) I can't get telegraf to retrieve the actual values but I only get an integer which increases every time I try to fetch the value. For example if I fetch the hostname via telegraf I get:

hostname=12i

Retrieving the same OID with the same SNMPv3 settings with e.g. snmpwalk I get:

RFC1213-MIB::sysName.0 = STRING: "fw-foobar-1"

I know this is probably not really Check Point specific but maybe someone in the community had the same problems and knows a way out.

Thanks a bunch,

Frank.

[1] https://community.influxdata.com/t/noob-inputs-snmp-only-shows-sequential-integers/14053  

0 Kudos
4 Replies
fab
Participant

Sorry guys. Checking a million times obviously was not enough. I had an error in my config wrt credentials and mixed up my auth and privacy credentials. Fixing this also fixed my problem with telegraf showing garbage.

Case closed. Going back to be massively ashamed.

0 Kudos
Wolfgang
Authority
Authority

No problem @fab . 

I think anyone of us here has sometimes these moments 😉 You checked everything more then twice and did not found anything wrong, but a little bit later and checking again you see the problem. Sometimes I  have to put my glasses on again and again to see what's going wrong.

Don't worry.

Wolfgang

0 Kudos
Pdouble
Explorer

@fab  Can you provide the steps you completed to get this up and running? I'm trying to do the same tasks with Telegraf to send the info from Checkpoint to Influxdb and don't know where to start. 

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
jjamesclt
Explorer

Thank you so much for posting. I had the same issue with Grafana pulling Cisco stats and for the life of me could not find out why I was getting 578555i for my hostname when no one else on the Internet was having that issue.

I just expected something to fail if I had the wrong password, so never checked. Worse is that I was using the correct password side by side with snmpget to test and it was of course working fine. Didn't notice a 20 character password was off by one character!

Your issue clued me in immediately, thank you for speaking up! I just don't have a lot of experience with SNMPv3 yet. 

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events