Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sanjay_S
Advisor
Jump to solution

MDS Upgrade to R81.10

Hi All,

I am planning to upgrade our MDS which is installed in VM ESX version 7.0.1. Upgrade wizard doesn't give me option to select 7.x at all and i can see the options till 6.x only. R81 is already working on the same ESX version without any issues. So just wanted to re-confirm if we are good to go ahead with R81.10 version with the ESX version 7.0.1?

Also getting the below warning when i verify the image. So does it mean i should only install Take 14 and not any latest JHF take?

A Jumbo Hotfix Accumulator (HFA) is installed on this server.
To align with this Jumbo HFA after the upgrade, install R81.10 jumbo take 14.

Also i got a warning to take Backup of user.def and table.def files and replace it once upgraded. Anything else that i need to be taking manual backup of and replace it once done?

The upgrade process will deploy new files, which are suitable to version R81.10.
If you wish to apply these modifications again, backup the modified inspect files now, and add the changes post upgrade.

Please suggest on this as i need to upgrade the MDS this weekend.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Sanjay S

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

On management, it's mostly the .def files (which the migration tool notices) and maybe /etc/ssh/sshd_config.
I'm less familiar with what might be MDS specific that may have been edited.
Gateways have a LOT more possibilities for edited files (e.g. for MAB portal customization or similar). 

View solution in original post

11 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Vmware ESX 7 is supported per the HCL.
What the error means is you should install at least JHF Take 14.
If you made modifications in Expert mode to any other file, you should back that up too.
The ones mentioned were noticed by the migration tool.

0 Kudos
Sanjay_S
Advisor

Thank you PhoneBoy for the information.

I am not confident on what all changes has been done in the Expert mode except updating the User.def files for some VPN encryption issues. Is there any way i can check what changes has been done so that i can back all those file.

Regards,

Sanjay S

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

The migration tools should notice anything that affects the Security Policy (i.e. modified .def files).
There are other files in the Gaia OS that you might manually modify (e.g. sshd_config) that will need to be modified differently in newer versions, so simply making a backup and restoring it isn't enough, changes may have to be applied manually.
There are also specific files on gateways (e.g. fwkern.conf) you should make sure you document any changes to and review if they are necessary in the target version. 

Sanjay_S
Advisor

Thank you PhoneBoy for more detailed info.

Is there any document which suggests what are the files because there are many firewalls which are there even before i came into this project. So it is bit difficult to know which files to manually change if there is no document suggesting that 😞 

Sorry for being a pain but if there are any such document please suggest.

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

On management, it's mostly the .def files (which the migration tool notices) and maybe /etc/ssh/sshd_config.
I'm less familiar with what might be MDS specific that may have been edited.
Gateways have a LOT more possibilities for edited files (e.g. for MAB portal customization or similar). 

Sanjay_S
Advisor

Hi All,

The below Job Scheduler was working fine until i upgrade it to R81.10 from R81. Not really sure why it is not working after upgrade. I also changed the CPmds-R81.10 from CPmds-R81 still not working. As per the schedule every week i can see the pgiz, gtar and mds_restore files getting created. Any inputs on this please.

. /etc/profile.d/CP.sh; /opt/CPmds-R81.10/scripts/mds_backup -l -b -s -d /var/log/mdsbackups/ 2>/dev/null; sleep 120;

Regards,

Sanjay S

0 Kudos
Jerry
Mentor
Mentor

hi Dameon, got another but related one for you all here:

1. if MDS in HA runs on VMWare, should you NOT or should you DO the Hypertreading for the CPU's (my client has following spec:

40 CPU's, 128GB or RAM, 40TB of disk and 1x10G interface) - I see hypertreading OFF, should I suggest them to enabled it or due to the fact that this is not SMART-1 but 2xVM in HA - would you rather have it ENABLED?

2. see the picture (except core dumps which definitely will get removed there are few worrying things - what you say about that?

3. log retention is in place so that 83% of log part. in use does not worry anyone.

all hints highly apprecaited as always.

Cheers!

caption from ccc from 2h agocaption from ccc from 2h ago

Jerry
0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

I wouldn't enable Hyperthreading in VMware. 
Not sure it would have any benefit in this case anyway.

0 Kudos
Jerry
Mentor
Mentor

Thanks Dameon, any other comment reg. the screenshoot? 😉 

Jerry
0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

What is this output from?
The hostname difference can definitely cause issues and should probably be corrected.

0 Kudos
Jerry
Mentor
Mentor

this is the CCC main screen result. have you ever seen such hostname errors outputs by CCC @Danny ? or @PhoneBoy ? Anyone?

Jerry
0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

Tue 23 Apr 2024 @ 11:00 AM (EDT)

East US: What's New in R82

Thu 25 Apr 2024 @ 11:00 AM (SGT)

APAC: CPX 2024 Recap

Tue 30 Apr 2024 @ 03:00 PM (CDT)

EMEA: CPX 2024 Recap

Thu 02 May 2024 @ 11:00 AM (SGT)

APAC: What's new in R82

Tue 23 Apr 2024 @ 11:00 AM (EDT)

East US: What's New in R82

Thu 25 Apr 2024 @ 11:00 AM (SGT)