Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chinmaya_Naik
Advisor
Jump to solution

IPsec VPN between IPv4 and IPv6

Hello Checkmates Team,

Is it possible to establish a IPsec VPN between IPv4 and IPv6 ?

Any Usecase ?

#Chinmaya Naik

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Hugo_vd_Kooij
Advisor

That is not possible.

These are 2 IP protocols and it makes as much sense as using SMB traffic to use a NFS share.

<< We make miracles happen while you wait. The impossible jobs take just a wee bit longer. >>

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Jerry
Mentor
Mentor

it all depends if you know how to use NAT's (ipv6->ipv4 and ipv4-ipv6) called NAT46 vs NAT64

have you searched UC Support sk's reg. IPv6 NATs ?

afaik R80.20 has full support for transporting ipv4 addresses out via ipv6 (I've used that in a lab and it works like a charm!) but reg. your question - I think there are more implications and conditions you need to meet before you do IPv6/IPv5 VPN. What is ultimately you goal mate? 

Jerry
Chinmaya_Naik
Advisor

Thanks Jerry ,

So basically we are using R77.30 so if we do on  NAT64 (Translate IPv6 addresses to IPv4 addresses (Supported in R77.30 ,requires R77.30 Add-On ) on one side then it should work right ?

#Chinmaya Naik

0 Kudos
Jerry
Mentor
Mentor

uuu good one, I've never used NAT64/46 on R77.30 though as it never worked for me but speaking of which,

Dameon Welch-Abernathy‌ - what do you think? imho you'll be better off making an assumption that your NAT64 will work on rather R80.xx than R77.30 with Add-on. Be careful anyway as R77.30 has some hickups with IPv6 in a past unless SME's here prove me wrong. If I were you I'd definitely go for upgrade first then consider the infra ready-to-go with IPv6. VPN IPSec though is another bit you may need to review on your side. All depends how your Communities and its design is actually facilitated and where about you're trying to ike id to ipv6 and where to ipv4.

Jerry
0 Kudos
Chinmaya_Naik
Advisor

Thanks Jerry Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Jerry
Mentor
Mentor
0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

So you’re trying to establish a VPN where one endpoint is IPv4 and the other is IPv6?

Pretty sure that’s not possible even with NAT.

Hugo_vd_Kooij
Advisor

That is not possible.

These are 2 IP protocols and it makes as much sense as using SMB traffic to use a NFS share.

<< We make miracles happen while you wait. The impossible jobs take just a wee bit longer. >>
Chinmaya_Naik
Advisor

Thanks Dameon Welch-Abernathy‌ and Hugo van der kooij.

#Chinmaya

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events