Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HeikoAnkenbrand
Champion Champion
Champion

HP Server DL360/380 G9 reboot issue!

Hi RnD guys,

In the last weeks we had more and more the problem with R80.10 that the servers (HP DL 360 G9 and HP DL 380 G9) with the BIOS/UEFI firmware P89 v2.60 2018-05-21 don't boot anymore. They crash after the reboot with a black screen. We had already opened a ticket here, but hadn't heard anything yet.

Solution:

At the moment the following solution helps. Installing the older HP BIOS/UEFI firmware P89 v2.56 2018-01-22.

Problem:

However, the older BIOS is vulnerable to "spectre" and "meltdown" vulnerabilities.

Is there any news?

Regards

Heiko

➜ CCSM Elite, CCME, CCTE
11 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

These vulnerabilities are less interesting on Check Point appliances and Open Server since you have to be logged into expert mode where it is assumed you are an admin/trusted user.

See: Check Point Response to Intel Side Channel Attacks (Meltdown, Spectre, Foreshadow) (CVE-2017-5753, C... 

HeikoAnkenbrand
Champion Champion
Champion

Hi Dameon,

Will Check Point publish a hotfix for this issue?

Regards

Heiko

➜ CCSM Elite, CCME, CCTE
0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

It's covered in the SK I linked.

0 Kudos
HeikoAnkenbrand
Champion Champion
Champion

Hi Dameon,

thx for your answer. But we need a Check Point patch or a hotfix so that the error does not occur with the new BIOS/UEFI firmware P89 v2.60 2018-05-21. From my point of view it is not a long-term solution to change the BIOS to an old version.

Can you please ask the R&D if a Hotfix will be available here or if this is integrated in the next jumbo hotfix in the future?

Regards

Heiko

➜ CCSM Elite, CCME, CCTE
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Can you mail/PM me the SR you opened on this?

0 Kudos
HeikoAnkenbrand
Champion Champion
Champion

Mail is sent.

➜ CCSM Elite, CCME, CCTE
0 Kudos
Ricardo_Andres_
Contributor

Did you find any solution for this issue?

Did you try using the 2.64 BIOS version?

0 Kudos
Ryan_Bourgaize
Explorer

Is there an update to this?  Building a new VSX environment using many G9s with the latest firmware, but shutdown/reboot command does not power cycle the server correctly.  Hangs on black screen.

I am able to remotely reboot the server via iLO, but this is no where near ideal.

0 Kudos
HeikoAnkenbrand
Champion Champion
Champion

If you are using a newer BIOS Version 2.60 and above, only one thing will help:

- reboot via ILO

- power switch off and on

- or pull power cables:-)

But these points are not a solution on a firewall for me!

I always install the older BIOS.

➜ CCSM Elite, CCME, CCTE
0 Kudos
Ryan_Bourgaize
Explorer

Yea I am going to have to try and rollback the BIOS versions.

Unfortunately this is proving problematic, as each time I try to install the older BIOS via iLO is just pumps out a general error message saying it failed.

How have you gone about rolling back?

0 Kudos
S__B_
Participant

We have HP servers in use worldwide. If the firewall is down we can't reach it via ILO anymore.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events