cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mike_Jensen
Advisor
Jump to solution

Clean install vs Upgrade R80.40 CPUSE

I am curious to know exactly what the difference(s) are in the Gia web portal CPUSE section in doing a upgrade vs a clean install from 80.30 to 80.40.

In my lab I chose a clean install expecting it to be just that, wiping out all of the configuration on the actual appliance.  After the clean install I was surprised to see almost all of the stuff remained on the gateway such as interface IP's, static routes, etc.  I did have to reestablish SIC.

I think doing a "upgrade" on a HA cluster will give me a state full failover during the upgrade process and the clean install will not.

Are there advantages to a clean install such as it being a cleaner install with old files no longer needed getting wiped out?

Are there any downsides to the clean install vs. upgrade?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Boaz_Orshav
Employee
Employee

Hi

The old partition is used as a snapshot to allow quick rollback.

It can be deleted as any other snapshot using the snapshot management on the GAIA web portal.

Notice also that CPUSE clean install can be used in case you wish to change machine role (you have to run first time wizard post the clean install).

In general I can say that the main advantage of CPUSE clean on top of USB is that you have a quick and safe rollback while the main advantage of USB is that it's so clean that you can gain new file system, change partition size etc.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Ruan_Kotze
Advisor

The below are my notes made from another community post (apologies to the original author - I didn't think to copy the link).

USB - Reformatting the system. New file system. New definition of partition size. New IP. New role (i.e. GW can become management etc.) Nothing is left from the previous installation.

CPUSE Clean - Create a new partition for the new version and install it. The old partition still exists so you can easily revert. Partition sizes are kept as well as files which are not in the "current" partition.

CPUSE Upgrade - Exactly like clean install but at the end of the process a configuration migration is done so the machine expected to stay with same functionality (i.e. you can't change GW to Management etc.)

Blink - Mainly a shortcut to make installation faster in case installation of version + Jumbo is required. The terms clean/upgrade are same as any CPUSE installation (see above) but instead of installing version 80.40, reboot, install jumbo, reboot it can be done in one step (i.e. install 80.40 + jumbo and reboot).

0 Kudos
Mike_Jensen
Advisor

Thank you!

With a CPUSE Clean and / or Blink clean install is there a way to delete the old partition so the gateway can reclaim that storage space?

0 Kudos
genisis__
Leader Leader
Leader

Mike - going to R80.40+ at the management layer would benefit from clean install with import.  Why...New XFS filesystem.

For a gateway no real reason to do a clean install other then the usual reason ie. strange issues that can possibly come from upgrading.

Example:

I did a R80.30 to R80.40 VSX upgrade and had to rollback because of a weird bug.  Clean install was recommended and the issue went away.

0 Kudos
Mike_Jensen
Advisor

I always do USB Install / new VMWare machine of the management servers and then import my policy in this case with the migrate server import tool.

I am considering a CPUSE clean install on a gateway for just that, because of any potential weird issues that may linger from the old version to the new if I only upgrade or like in your example.

I just want to know how I can reclaim the old partitions space after everything has been tested and verified working.

0 Kudos
genisis__
Leader Leader
Leader

Not sure what you mean by reclaim partition space?  If you mean restore you original setup after you have gone through a trail run then all I can think of is a snapshot restore.

0 Kudos
Alex-
Advisor
Advisor

I believe it's about deleting the R80.30 partition created during the upgrade/clean install once it's clear the system will stay on R80.40.

0 Kudos
Boaz_Orshav
Employee
Employee

Hi

The old partition is used as a snapshot to allow quick rollback.

It can be deleted as any other snapshot using the snapshot management on the GAIA web portal.

Notice also that CPUSE clean install can be used in case you wish to change machine role (you have to run first time wizard post the clean install).

In general I can say that the main advantage of CPUSE clean on top of USB is that you have a quick and safe rollback while the main advantage of USB is that it's so clean that you can gain new file system, change partition size etc.

0 Kudos
genisis__
Leader Leader
Leader

Think a clean install is best for Management layer as the new XFS filesystem would be the big advantage, on a GW this would not really be the advantage from what I can see.

0 Kudos
Mike_Jensen
Advisor

Thank you.  I see it in the Snapshots area.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events