Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Darren_Phang
Participant

Can 10G switch port link works with 1G switch port?

Hi Guys,

As per description above, would like to seek advise if anyone have tested or tried connecting with different transceivers module at both end?

Scenario as below:

CP6400 installed with 10GbE SFP+ NIC and 10GbE SFP+ SR transceivers while the other hands, the connected Cisco switch (WS-C2960-24TS) only has 1GbE SFP ports with 1GbE SFP SR transceivers. Understood that Check Point allow user to downgrade/hardcode the speed from 10GbE to 1GbE since CP transceivers support multirate.  Will this scenario works given that both are using multimode SR transceivers and running in 1GbE speed? 

Regards,

Darren

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Wolfgang
Authority
Authority

@Darren_Phang 

Check the following matrix for your specific line card and tranceiver:

Compatibility of transceivers for Check Point appliances 

Wolfgang

0 Kudos
Darren_Phang
Participant

Hi @Wolfgang,

You have got the wrong idea. Let me rephrase my question. Will the connection up if one end is using 10G SFP+ while the other end is using 1G SFP? 

Regards,

Darren

0 Kudos
Wolfgang
Authority
Authority

@Darren_Phang 

now I understand. Let me explain.....

Normally in the switchworld you have to have the same tranceiver type on both sides of the connection.

If your CheckPoint appliance has a 10G SFP+ SR tranceiver you need the same on the other end. 

This is regardless of the configured or negotiated speed of the connection.

Some vendors allowing normal SFP tranceivers in there SFP+ ports. So you can plugin a 1GB tranceiver in a10G capable port and connect it to a 1GB tranceiver on the other side.

Following the mentioned table, there is no supported 1Gb tranceiver for 10Gb ports shown.

Wolfgang

PS: Sometimes things are working but not supported...

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events