cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Magnus-Holmberg
Advisor

AMD - Lab R81.20

Hi,

Iknow that AMD is not supported by Check Point, but it has been working "somewhat" within vmware workstation to do labs on AMD on older versions, now on R81.20 it seams to crash right away and not possible to install on a VM within vmware workstation 17.

Is there anyway arround this without buying a new system?

r8120panic3.png

r8120panic2.png

r8120Panic.png

Regards,
Magnus

https://www.youtube.com/c/MagnusHolmberg-NetSec
0 Kudos
7 Replies
_Val_
Admin
Admin

Most probably not, unless AMD-based VMware can perfectly impersonate Intel CPUs...

0 Kudos
Magnus-Holmberg
Advisor

I dont think so, atleast not what i can find. Thanks for the reply Val!

emmap
Employee
Employee

I tried it just now on VMWare Workstation 15 on Windows 10 running on a Ryzen 5900X based PC and it seems to work OK, I have installed a standalone setup and installed the current JHF on it. It did give me a bunch of messages about strange power saving modes but I can log in to SmartConsole now. Those power saving mode messages repeated after few minutes, but I'm not getting your message about the guest OS disabling the CPU. So it seems like maybe it works in some cases but not reliably, and with caveats/annoyances. I would suggest that if you have a system it can boot on then you could do some policy manipulation work, but trying to replicate a prod system to troubleshoot a bug is not necessarily going to give valid results. 

If anyone else has tested this / can test this and come back with results, that would be handy!

0 Kudos
Pawel_Topczewsk
Employee
Employee

There is no issue or limitations in using Cloud Guard Network (VM Check Point GW) on AMD-based hypervisors. The problems could rise if You use Open Server solution with AMD CPU. 

0 Kudos
Magnus-Holmberg
Advisor

I bought a new intel computer and now it works flawless 😂 was not worth troubleshooting all the time. 

0 Kudos
Patrick_Jung
Participant

Hi, 
What is the Intel CPU model you bought?
I bought a lenovo x1 using a 13th generation CPU, but I can't install Gaia OS on vmware workstation 17.5 pro.

My laptop
lenovo x1
i7-1370p 1.90 Ghz, 13th Gen intel.
64Gb memory

Regards.

0 Kudos
JiaHaoC
Participant

Ran into similar issues and might have found the solution. I usually spin my machines with the Typical option.

Screenshot 2024-04-08 140645.png

The default type of Hard Disk has switched from SCSI to NVMe. Might be because VMware has detected it to be Fedora.

R81.20

image.png

R81.10

image.png

Seems like the solution is to switch back to the supported Hard Disk type of SCSI. No issues faced after the change.

I am currently running, AMD CPU 5950X with VMware Workstation 17 Pro (Version: 17.5.1 build-23298084)

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events