cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Oskar_Svedman
Participant
Jump to solution

Test bandwidth/speed from Gaia

Hi, Is there any way to do a speed test from CLI to measure download and upload speed?

I usually use iperf to test download/upload speed from command line in windows/linux.

Now I need to know the bandwidth from several remote offices where I have SMB 730 firewalls. iperf is a free linux utility. https://iperf.fr/iperf-download.php

Do you think it is possible to install in the firewall or do you violate all rules if it's done? Is there any other good tool to use?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

Be wary of sk98871, if using iperf ensure you use multiple streams / threads.

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Danny
Champion Champion
Champion

Simply use the integrated curl_cli or wget commands to test the download / upload speed to / from your remote offices.

sk83520

0 Kudos
(1)
Oskar_Svedman
Participant

Hi Danny,

Now I'm using Gaia Embedded so can only run wget. But it dosen't show the output in Mbps. It only show the total amount of downloaded data.

for exampel if I run: wget -O /dev/null https://speed.hetzner.de/100MB.bin it only show that I have downloaded 100MB, not the speed.

Maybe a limitation in wget for Gaia Embedded?

0 Kudos
Maarten_Sjouw
Champion
Champion
Try to use scp to copy a large file from another box.
Regards, Maarten
0 Kudos
huseyinyildirim
Participant

Hello,

It has been some time since this message 🙂 But i need to measure internet connection speed on a GAiA gateway. Have you found a way to do this?

Can iperf or something like 0okla-speedtest be installed on GaiA?

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

Be wary of sk98871, if using iperf ensure you use multiple streams / threads.

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

iperf3 can be installed on Gaia, but you have to obtain a statically-linked copy as several library dependencies for the dynamically linked version were stripped out of the Gaia OS by Check Point.  The following statically-linked precompiled version of iperf3 works as a client on Gaia R81.20:

https://github.com/userdocs/iperf3-static/releases/download/3.12%2B/iperf3-i386

However the usual caveats apply, as the installation of any third-party software on Gaia systems is NOT SUPPORTED and may damage/compromise the system.  You will need to set up an external iperf3 server for the Gaia iperf3 client to hit somewhere else in your network. 

BUT keep in mind since this test traffic is being originated by the firewall itself, all the test traffic will be F2F/slowpath and may adversely impact your firewall's performance, especially if multiple simultaneous threads are launched with the -P option.  Use at your own risk!

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
Blason_R
Leader
Leader

I am not sure about 730 but I use cpview -> Interface -> Traffic Monitor 

And then I download the file from Clish to find the exact xfer rate. These days I am mostly rely on skyline; super features and nice information.

Thanks and Regards,
Blason R
CCSA,CCSE,CCCS
0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events