Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Biju_Nair
Contributor

USB not detected in MAC with Media encryption blade enabled

Hi, I have a MAC OSX machine with Endpoint security with Media Encryption enabled.

After inserting a USB, it is not detected by the MAC unless the agent is uninstalled. Tried providing a label name to the USB which also didnt help.

Let me know if anyone encountered similar issue.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

What version of the Endpoint client is this in relation to?
What version of Mac OS?
Anything you can tell me about the specific USB device in question?
0 Kudos
Biju_Nair
Contributor

What version of the Endpoint client is this in relation to?

Endpoint Version: 80.89

What version of Mac OS?

System Version: macOS 10.14 (18A391)

Later upgraded to latest OS 10.14.4 (Mojave) but still the issue persists.

Anything you can tell me about the specific USB device in question?

Its just a normal removable storage USB. I tried different types, imation(64 GB), transcend(8 GB)

Even tried to put some label name to the USB, but in vain.

The same USB works fine in Windows PC.

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Is the filesystem on the drive fully encrypted, partially encrypted, or?
The reason I ask is because I think I may have seen something similar with an external drive that I frequently use on my PC that has half the space encrypted.
Namely the encrypted filesystem never mounted, but the unencrypted filesystem did.
I haven't had a chance to look into it further.

Also, do you happen to have OSXFuse installed?
At least in earlier versions, the predecessor was required for Media Encryption.
https://osxfuse.github.io/
0 Kudos
Biju_Nair
Contributor

Actually for troubleshooting purpose, I even tried with a pendrive which was not at all encrypted.

Also, do you happen to have OSXFuse installed?

No.

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Now that I've looked a bit deeper, it appears the issue may be related to encrypted partitions and NTFS.
For sure, FAT32 and exFAT-formatted encrypted partitions can be read on a Mac, but not necessarily with NTFS.
My own NTFS-formatted encrypted drives will not mount on MacOS, though the unencrypted partition will mount just fine.

Mac only provides read-only access to NTFS partitions by default.
Third party software like the previously mentioned OSXFuse enables write support.
However, I don't believe it works with Media Encryption.
0 Kudos
Biju_Nair
Contributor

I just verified and the pendrive that i used for testing purpose was FAT32.

should i try by enabling the FUSE on mac ?

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

What about the non-encrypted part of the drive? Is it also FAT32?
Because if it's NTFS, without something like FUSE, Media Encryption may not even attempt to process it.
If the non-encrypted part of the drive is FAT32 and it's not working, you may want to open a TAC case.
0 Kudos
Biju_Nair
Contributor

The issue is that I tried with a USB which was not at all encrypted which was not getting mounted when connected.

Based on teh policy we have, any USB connected it should encrypt 50% of the space which will be then classified as "Business data" and remaining as "Non business data". However, in this case with MAC its not happening.

Moreover, today I observed that the USB eventhough didnt showup in the desktop once connected, if you visit the Utilities>>Disk Utility, I could see the USB to be mounted. And I was able to access the USB from there.

But was able to only copy the data from the USB to MAC, but was not able to copy anything to teh USB.

Neither couldn't find any partitions such as "Business data" or "Non business data".... it was a simple USB connected as it is.

Really cant find whats wrong.

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

If you look in Disk Utility or similar, you will only see a single partition.
This is because the "Business Data" partition is a simple file on the main filesystem that Media Encryption mounts as a filesystem.
0 Kudos
Biju_Nair
Contributor

Guys... got this working with the help of tac. It seems there was a software from Blackberry in MAC that was contradicting with CP agent. After removing the Blackberry software the media encryption started working as expected.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events