Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
abr
Explorer
Jump to solution

mgmt_cli: domains-to-process - Valid values are: CURRENT_DOMAIN, ALL_DOMAINS_ON_THIS_SERVER

Hi CheckMates

Can anyone provide a working example of how to use “domains_to_process”. I just came across this parameter and was wondering how to use it correctly.

As I understand it, the intention is to search across domains for fx. hosts.

Doing something like this:
mgmt_cli show hosts domains-to-process "ALL_DOMAINS_ON_THIS_SERVER" filter "1.1.1.1" --format json -s id.txt

I just can’t seem to make it work. I tried using it with id.txt set to “System Data” but without success.

Guessing that I’m misunderstanding the intended use case.

Much appreciated if anyone have examples to share.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Omer_Kleinstern
Employee
Employee

Hi @abr ,

Since domains-to-process is a list, it should be something like this:
mgmt_cli show hosts domains-to-process.1 "ALL_DOMAINS_ON_THIS_SERVER" filter "1.1.1.1" ignore-warnings true --format json -s id.txt

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
(1)
9 Replies
_Val_
Admin
Admin

"domains-to-process"  does not seem to be a part of any valid command in the first place. Where are you taking this example from?

0 Kudos
Henrik_Noerr1
Advisor

The documentation:

https://sc1.checkpoint.com/documents/latest/APIs/?#cli/show-hosts~v1.9.1%20

domains-to-process List: string
Default: CURRENT_DOMAIN
Indicates which domains to process the commands on. It cannot be used with the details-level full, must be run from the System Domain only and with ignore-warnings true. Valid values are: CURRENT_DOMAIN, ALL_DOMAINS_ON_THIS_SERVER.
0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

What's the exact output when you try to use that command?
Also see the note about including ignore-warnings true in the API docs.

0 Kudos
abr
Explorer

Hi PhoneBoy

Result of trying the command with domain set to "System Data" in my id.txt file on API version "1.9.1".
I assume that by "ignore-warnings true" they mean "--ignore-errors true" .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Command:
mgmt_cli show hosts domains-to-process "ALL_DOMAINS_ON_THIS_SERVER" filter "1.1.1.1" --format json --ignore-errors true -s id.txt

Output:
{
"code" : "generic_err_invalid_parameter",
"message" : "Parameter [domains-to-process] value is not valid"
}

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To me it seems like the parameter "domains-to-process" simply is not an option

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

ignore-warnings and ignore-errors are actually different things.
@Omer_Kleinstern any other ideas?

0 Kudos
Omer_Kleinstern
Employee
Employee

Hi @abr ,

Since domains-to-process is a list, it should be something like this:
mgmt_cli show hosts domains-to-process.1 "ALL_DOMAINS_ON_THIS_SERVER" filter "1.1.1.1" ignore-warnings true --format json -s id.txt

0 Kudos
(1)
Bob_Zimmerman
Authority
Authority

I can confirm this works, though in testing it I found what seems likely to be a bug in mgmt_cli's processing of session files. I'll open a ticket about that.

The "ignore-warnings" key doesn't appear in any of the API documentation I've checked, though I haven't checked exhaustively.

[Expert@MyMDS:0]# mgmt_cli -f json -d "MDS" -r true login >session.txt

[Expert@MyMDS:0]# mgmt_cli -f json -s session.txt show hosts limit 2 domains-to-process.1 ALL_DOMAINS_ON_THIS_SERVER ignore-warnings true
{
  "objects" : [ {
    "uid" : "08f0e998-b092-49ef-83cb-f56b367e4c5c",
    "name" : "SomeHost",
    "type" : "host",
    "domain" : {
      "uid" : "f538d6a9-dd21-40cc-b400-c758b2a05882",
      "name" : "CMA_1",
      "domain-type" : "domain"
    },
    "ipv4-address" : "2.3.4.5",
    "icon" : "Objects/host",
    "color" : "black"
  }, {
    "uid" : "ccb0a948-c5ed-43e3-9e2f-f8aa331b3bcb",
    "name" : "SomeHost_2",
    "type" : "host",
    "domain" : {
      "uid" : "11415233-c3d4-4c3b-bc8b-6413ba75f64d",
      "name" : "CMA_2",
      "domain-type" : "domain"
    },
    "ipv4-address" : "3.4.5.6",
    "icon" : "Objects/host",
    "color" : "black"
  } ],
  "from" : 1,
  "to" : 2,
  "total" : 55184
}

Note that this only makes sense on an MDS, and the "System Domain" is named "MDS".

It technically works on SmartCenters when you log in to the "System Data" domain, but a SmartCenter can only contain one domain, so there's no real point to doing it. You may as well log in to the functional domain directly.

0 Kudos
abr
Explorer

@Bob_Zimmerman 
Thanks for testing command and explaining the "System Domain" for MDS environments.

It make sense to use this for looking up hosts across domains within a MDS environment.

Help and input much appreciated!

0 Kudos
abr
Explorer

Hi @Omer_Kleinstern

Thanks for explaining this to me. Much appreciated!

I had no idea on how to "represent" a list with "strs" in the mgmt_cli. I tried all kinds of list formats. I had never guessed that it had to be represented using ".1"

I did not find any direct documentation on the "ignore-warnings true" in the documentation. It is stated to apply it to this command. Still it is not documented as an argument/option.

I think it might be helpfull for others if documentation was updated with an examples for "List: String" and "ignore-warnings true"

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events