Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HristoGrigorov

PERL support on SMS

Hi,

I just want to mention how "insulting" is for all those ancient old admins (like me Smiley Happy) to not have perl available on SMS.

Python is nice to have but the lack of perl.... come on... respect the older practical extracting and reporting language please Smiley Happy

Seriously, any plans to add perl support to SMS? 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Martin_Valenta
Advisor

Ancient admins should (need) to adapt to newer and better technologies

PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

In general, Gaia OS only includes the software components required for our product to function.

A minimal installation of Python is included in recent Gaia OS because we actually make use of it Smiley Happy

Extras like Perl are not included.

0 Kudos
HristoGrigorov

Will I violate any license if I install it myself? 

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

We do not support the installation of third party software on Gaia OS.

It might create a support issue down the road.

0 Kudos
HristoGrigorov

All right then, Python will do as well although Perl is way faster in doing certain things. Thanx for your replies.

0 Kudos
Richard_Clyne
Participant

Have a look at perlbrew and try it in a test lab.  It's a way of running perl without affecting the underlying system.  It may still cause issues with CP support but it would isolate all changes to /usr/local/. I use it on my Mac to allow me to have the Apple supplied perl (which the OS uses) as well as a local copy with the modules I need

0 Kudos
John_Fleming
Advisor

As someone who happily runs FreeRadius on his 1500 I'd say go strawberry perl. It has an option to uncompress an archive that works outside of anything else. It comes with scripts to run to setup the env to make the perl env run. 

I basically do this for windows hosts that I don't have admin rights on and i'm having a Perl AA issue because I didn't call a friend. In these trying times we just have to pick ourselves up and forgive our digressions.. then remember...

We have the OpenBSD team to thank for OpenSSH. Those fine folks are awesome and still include Perl in their base OS.

Perl still has a place on decent unix systems.

Side note.. I gag when I have to do regex in Python. Everything else, no major complaints. 

Final side note. When checkpoint starts shipping a way to verify the authenticity of all binaries on a system i'll start to worry about support getting their undies in a bind about 3rd party software being installed.

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events