Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Danny
Champion Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

One-liner to update IpToCountry data on Security Managements

👍 Automates all tasks from sk120261
ℹ️ Can be easily scheduled to auto-run at specific times.

One-liner (Bash) to assist updating IpToCountry.csv on Check Point security managements.
In expert mode run:

if [[ `$CPDIR/bin/cpprod_util FwIsFirewallMgmt 2>/dev/null` != *'1'* ]]; then echo; tput bold; echo ' Not a security management!'; tput sgr0; echo; else curl_cli $(if [[ `grep proxy:ip /config/active` ]]; then echo -n '--proxy '; grep proxy:ip /config/active|cut -f2 -d' '|tr -d '\n'; echo -n :; grep proxy:port /config/active|cut -f2 -d' '; fi) -k https://sc1.checkpoint.com/freud2/IpToCountry.csv.gz | zcat > IpToCountry.csv; if [[ $? == 0 ]]; then echo; tput bold; echo -n ' Updating IpToCountry requires '; tput sgr0; tput setab 1; tput setaf 7; tput bold; echo -n 'CPSTOP'; tput sgr0; tput bold; echo -n '! Executing? '; tput sgr0; read -sn1; case $REPLY in '') echo; dos2unix IpToCountry.csv; chown admin:root IpToCountry.csv; chmod 770 IpToCountry.csv; cp -p $RTDIR/conf/ip2country.csv $RTDIR/conf/ip2country.csv_$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M); cp -p $INDEXERDIR/conf/ip2country.csv $INDEXERDIR/conf/ip2country.csv_$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M); cpstop; sleep 20; cp -v IpToCountry.csv $RTDIR/conf/ip2country.csv; mv -v IpToCountry.csv $INDEXERDIR/conf/ip2country.csv; cpstart; echo; tput setaf 2; echo 'Update completed!'; tput sgr0;; *) tput setaf 1; echo ' Abort!'; tput sgr0; esac; else echo; tput setaf 1; echo ' Download failed!'; tput sgr0; echo; fi; fi

This one-liner interactively downloads the newest IpToCountry.csv from Check Point, checks if the download needs to be performed via web proxy and asks before cpstop is to be executed.

Integrated with our ccc script.

Also available as cronjob version:

#!/bin/bash
#
# Auto-Update IP2Country.csv on Check Point Security Managements - sk120261
#

source /etc/profile.d/CP.sh
logger 'Starting to download ip2country.csv'
curl_cli -k https://sc1.checkpoint.com/freud2/IpToCountry.csv.gz|zcat > IpToCountry.csv
if [[ $? == 0 ]]; then dos2unix IpToCountry.csv; chown admin:root IpToCountry.csv; chmod 770 IpToCountry.csv; cp -p $RTDIR/conf/ip2country.csv $RTDIR/conf/ip2country.csv_$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M); cp -p $INDEXERDIR/conf/ip2country.csv $INDEXERDIR/conf/ip2country.csv_$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M); cpstop; sleep 20; cp -v IpToCountry.csv $RTDIR/conf/ip2country.csv; mv -v IpToCountry.csv $INDEXERDIR/conf/ip2country.csv; cpstart; logger 'ip2country.csv update completed.'; else logger 'ip2country.csv download failed!'; fi
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Danny
Champion Champion
Champion

I found out the the new URL is actually just a forwarder to another URL.

Fixed it. Should be working again now.

View solution in original post

19 Replies
Jarvis_Lin
Collaborator

Hi Denny,

Can the update be performed automatically without asking to cpstop?

Thanks.

Regards,

Jarvis

0 Kudos
Danny
Champion Champion
Champion

Hi @Jarvis_Lin , this isn't possible as the firewall management processes are actively working with these files. So the processes need to be stopped before the files can be replaced. Otherwise Check Point would have probably implemented an automatic update. I think it should be possible to update these files before the management processes are started at system startup. Then you would receive GeoIP updates whenever the system gets restarted.

PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Looks like we are addressing the underlying issue in R81.20 and will backport this to the various versions via JHF.
Not sure how far back it will go, but I imagine to at least R80.40.
Ultimately, we'll auto-download this information to the management daily at midnight.
It should also solve an issue where the names between our Updatable Objects and the logs aren't exactly aligned.

Nikodemus
Participant

Thank you Danny for the script. Already using a slighty modified version of it for a while running as a cronjob on R81.10. It works perfect.

We noticed that, starting from R81.10 JHF61 (not GA atm), a new feature is introduced:

PRJ-36199 - UPDATE: Mapping of IPs to
country/flag is now automatically
updated every day. These are
visible in the Logs and Events
views.

Source (pg 9, bottom): https://dl3.checkpoint.com/paid/10/107be089b9abbc276faf5c7dd1daa51c/CP_JumboHotfixAccumulator_for_R8...

Is above improvement the replacement for your script?

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

I get this when I run it on my lab R81.10 mgmt server:

% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
100 10 100 10 0 0 8 0 0:00:01 0:00:01 --:--:-- 8

gzip: stdin: not in gzip format

0 Kudos
Danny
Champion Champion
Champion

Check Point mentioned here that they updated the path to IpToCountry.csv.
It's not this URL anymore as referenced to in sk120261, but this new URL instead. I updated my one-liner.

0 Kudos
Ave_Joe
Contributor

I am getting the same output when using the updated one-liner with the new URL. 

Thoughts?

% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0

gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file

Download failed!

0 Kudos
Danny
Champion Champion
Champion

I found out the the new URL is actually just a forwarder to another URL.

Fixed it. Should be working again now.

the_rock
Legend
Legend

You are a TRUE CHAMPION!!

0 Kudos
Ave_Joe
Contributor

Confirmed to be working now. 

Thank you. 

demist95
Explorer

Hello Danny,

Many thanks for creating this script!

However, I compared the IptoCountry.csv's from the URL in your script, to the URL used in sk120261, it seems that both have a different md5sum:

d3dd4e3df9ae369afb6e2a2dbb41b482 IpToCountry.csv

21172b2bf3126b1af58fd27d0e4033b6 IpToCountry.csv

Furthermore, this Russian IP was showing a German flag in the Smart Console logs: 193.201.9.238.

I did a calculation on the IP using sk94364, did a lookup in both .csv's:

238 + (9 * 256) + (201 * 256 * 256) + (193 * 256 * 256 * 256) = 3251177966

3251177472,"3251178239","iana","410227200","RU","RUS","Russia" --> IpToCountry.csv  from sk106216

3251177472,"3251179519","iana","410227200","DE","DEU","Germany" --> IpToCountry.csv from the one-liner script

The link used in the SK does not work in the one-liner script. Is it possible for you to update your one-liner script with the correct URL?

EDIT: I just saw that you used the URL from a post by a Check Point employee. So it seems that the latest IpToCountry.csv Check Point has provided is not correct. I will let them know in a TAC case we have in regards to wrong country flags showing in Smart Console.

Kind regards,

Demis Terborg

0 Kudos
Danny
Champion Champion
Champion

Hi Demis,

looks like Check Point switched back to their original URL again, so I adjusted my script accordingly.

Regards, Danny

0 Kudos
GHaider
Participant

i am not sure but the release notes for JHF 61 for R81.10 mention the following:

PRJ-36199

Logging

UPDATE: Mapping of IPs to country/flag is now automatically updated every day. These are visible in the Logs and Events views.

...so perhaps your script is not needed anymore? (will try to give feedback after testing this)

0 Kudos
Nikodemus
Participant

Installed JHF61 for the same reason, but SSH access to the MGMT was not working anymore afterwards. Luckily HTTPS was still working, Troubleshooting with the console in the GAIA portal is a pain, so rolled back to JHF 55. Did not test further. 

0 Kudos
GHaider
Participant

you should have used JHF 66 as i did, see here:

PRJ-40378,

PMTR-84711

Gaia OS

After an upgrade, there are SSH connectivity issues, when the "allowed-host" feature in Clish is enabled.

0 Kudos
Nikodemus
Participant

Good to know it has been fixed, but at that time, JHF61 was the latest available. And as the country script stopped working, I was searching for an alternative. 🙂

0 Kudos
demist95
Explorer

We have a setup running on R81.10 JHF 66.

The ip2country.csv does not seem to be updated automatically.

[Expert@CP-SC1:0]# ls -lah /opt/CPrt-R81.10/conf/ip2country.csv
-rw-r----- 1 admin bin 15M Mar 9 13:59 /opt/CPrt-R81.10/conf/ip2country.csv
[Expert@CP-SC1:0]# ls -lah /opt/CPrt-R81.10/log_indexer/conf/ip2country.csv
-rwxrwx--- 1 admin root 15M Mar 9 13:58 /opt/CPrt-R81.10/log_indexer/conf/ip2country.csv

0 Kudos
DavidKL
Explorer

My R81.10 Take 66 Management server also doesn't auto update the file, it was upgraded from R80.30 to R81.10 - not sure if that contributes to the bug in anyway. 

Jan_Kleinhans
Advisor

Have you found a solution?

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events