Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tomer_Sole
Mentor
Mentor

How to export and import IPS profiles and their overridden protections in R80.10

Prior to R80, there was a closed-source tool by Check Point called export_import_profile.

Starting with R80:

1. The back-end representation of profiles and protections has changed, so the tool is no longer supported.

2. The open API enable any customer to make their own export and import operations.

Step 1: On the source machine, export the specific Threat Prevention Profile

The show threat-profile command returns a structure of the profile's settings.

Example:

show threat-profile name MyOrganization details-level full

uid: "fa1aa324-a8cc-4dbd-bc04-f31fdb8abf61"

name: "MyOrganization "

type: "threat-profile"

domain:

uid: "a0bbbc99-adef-4ef8-bb6d-defdefdefdef"

name: "Check Point Data"

domain-type: "data domain"

active-protections-performance-impact: "medium"

active-protections-severity: "Medium or above"

confidence-level-low: "Inactive"

confidence-level-medium: "Prevent"

confidence-level-high: "Prevent"

ips: true

ips-settings:

newly-updated-protections: "staging"

exclude-protection-with-performance-impact: false

exclude-protection-with-severity: false

threat-emulation: true

anti-virus: true

anti-bot: true

Step 2: On the source machine, export IPS Protections which had their action override for this specific Threat Prevention Profile

This part is a little tricky - you have to go over all protections, and only pick the ones that have a different action for your profile. 

The show threat-protections command returns the protections.  

There is no way to get all the IPS Protections as one response, since that would make the output so big it will fail to return. Therefore we have to use the "offset" parameter to advance and get 50 protections every time. 

In the example below, the first protection just happened to have an override action for the "MyOrganization" profile. The second protection did not have an override action for the "MyOrganization" profile.

Example:

show threat-protections offset 0 details-level full

protections:
- uid: "8027f5c8-1bac-cf49-99a3-59a89a35cdb6"
name: "3Com Network Supervisor Directory Traversal"
type: "threat-protection"
domain:
uid: "41e821a0-3720-11e3-aa6e-0800200c9fde"
name: "SMC User"
domain-type: "domain"
severity: "High"
confidence-level: "Medium"
performance-impact: "Low"
release-date: "20091124"
update-date: "20091124"
profiles:
- name: "Basic"
uid: "eb39a60d-c454-49f5-a28c-a89aa5bd2e09"
default:
action: "Inactive"
track: "log"
capture-packets: false
final:
- name: "Strict"
uid: "caf8b711-d762-4c1e-82d5-6af2549b2869"
default:
action: "Prevent"
final:
- name: "MyOrganization"
default:
override:
final:
comments: ""
follow-up: false
ipsAdditionalProperties:

name: "3Com TFTP Server Transporting Mode Remote Buffer Overflow"
type: "threat-protection"
- name: "MyOrganization"
default:
final:

Step 3: On the target machine, create the new profile.

The add threat-profile command creates a new Threat Prevention Profile.

You have to convert the output from step 1 to a command-line with the values.

Example:

add threat-profile name MyOrganization active-protections-performance-impact "medium" active-protections-severity "Medium or above" confidence-level-low "Inactive" confidence-level-medium "Prevent" confidence-level-high "Prevent" ips true ips-settings.newly-updated-protections "staging" ips-settings.exclude-protection-with-performance-impact false ips-settings.exclude-protection-with-severity false threat-emulation true anti-virus true anti-bot true

Step 4: On the target machine, set protection actions for the specific protections that were exported at step 2.

The set threat-protection command lets you change the action of the protection for a given profile.

Example:

set threat-protection name "3Com Network Supervisor Directory Traversal" overrides.1.profile MyOrganization overrides.1.action Prevent 

12 Replies
Vladimir
Champion
Champion

Tomer, I am concerned that CP is beginning to rely too heavily on the programmatic functionality for trivial and common tasks.

Having these capabilities in addition to a two-click action this is supposed to be, is great, as it will empower those capable and in need of a comprehensive scripted operations to do this job, while not alienating already overworked mid-market admins who were sold on the capabilities, simplicity and intuitiveness of the SmartConsole and the Single Pane of Glass idea.

(1)
Tomer_Sole
Mentor
Mentor

I agree that if this was a standard common thing that most of our customers were doing then we should have provided a 1-click solution.

Importing an exporting IPS settings between different machines is considered a deployment / provisioning scenario, and typically those scenarios could have more steps. So in this particular case - I am in favor of giving building blocks and letting others utilize them.

There are other cases in which we have API and no simple UI, for example - a view of all objects that have the same IP of another object - and to those cases we will work to add the simple UI out of the box.

Vladimir
Champion
Champion

I suspect that this is more of the operational issue in addition to deployment and migration.

If situation described in sk113748  arises and leads to the need of IPSClean files to replace all the corrupted IPS configuration files, it could be handy to have the import and export capabilities.

Incidentally, are the IPS profiles with overrides a part of the Gaia Backup?

Tomer_Sole
Mentor
Mentor

IPSClean is no longer Smiley Happy We have revision revert for IPS since R80. 

Gaia Backup retains all security management configuration.

Kris_Meldrum
Contributor

@Tomer Sole

That API Call is very helpful! Is there a similar API to set the Recommended and Default Inspection profiles under the Inspection Settings?

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Might be a better question for Amiad Stern

If I had to guess, it's something that will require using the generic object API, though through a cursory glance, I do not see what property it is. 

0 Kudos
Ramchand_Somaya
Employee Alumnus
Employee Alumnus

Please confirm if ips_export_import command was introduced back in R80.20.

https://sc1.checkpoint.com/documents/R80.20_GA/WebAdminGuides/EN/CP_R80.20_ThreatPrevention_AdminGui...

Page 38.

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

I'm not seeing this utility here in my R80.20 standalone installation VM, so unless this is a special package that needs to be installed separately it looks like the answer is no.

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
0 Kudos
Ramchand_Somaya
Employee Alumnus
Employee Alumnus

Thank you for looking into it Tim. I have R80.10 with take 169 installed on my machine and binary is located at

ips_export_import_binary.jpg

0 Kudos
adimitrov12
Explorer

Hi Ramchand and All,

I am also searching for a simple and straight forward way to export / import only IPS configuration. 

In the last R80.20 take 47 this ips_export_import utility is not presented (attached screenshot). 

I checked the provided Thread Prevention Administration guide for R80.30 version, which is not available for download, at it seems that this utility is removed according to the revision history of the document (attached screenshot). 

Ramchand, can you please advise when this IPS configuration export functionality will be available?

Thanks.  

0 Kudos
Ramchand_Somaya
Employee Alumnus
Employee Alumnus

An open API procedure Tomer outlined above would allow similar export & import functionality.

0 Kudos
adimitrov12
Explorer

I am attaching the second screenshot since only one attachment is supported per reply.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events