Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sayala
Newcomer

Cannot Resolve FQDN to hostname from the API

I am creating a process the takes hosts and automatically adds them to a group. 

When the hosts come in, I receive the FQDN, without the IP. 

When I want to look up the host by FQDN using the show-hosts endpoint, I can't get anything to resolve. I would really like to add all my FQDNs to the host. Right now, show-host only shows the IP, hostname(current hostname is the IP), and domain. 

I've read about using domain objects, but every time I try to show-domain, whether through UID or name, it tells me it doesn't exist. Its the SMC User domain and everything is under it. It definitely exists. When I show-domains, I receive an empty return. I also tried global-domain, but that was empty. The only thing that comes back the the show-dns-domains, which all say they are under the SMC User domain. 

Is there a way, or what would be the best way to correlate the FQDN and IP through the API? I know its done in the SmartConsole, I just don't understand why I wouldn't be able to do it in the API. 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

"hosts" in this case refer to host objects in SmartConsole.
These objects only have a single IPv4 and/or a single IPv6 address associated with it.
It is not possible to add FDQNs or multiple IPs to a host object.

add-domain is specific to a Multi-Domain environment and refers to the management (not FQDN) domains.
If you want to create an object for an FDQN in a rule, you need to create a domain object (add-dns-domain with is-sub-domain false): https://sc1.checkpoint.com/documents/latest/APIs/#cli/add-dns-domain~v1.9.1%20
When FDQN objects exist in the active policy, the gateway will periodically resolve these FDQN objects to IP addresses.

Whether you use host objects, FQDN objects, or a combination of the two, you can add them to a group object as desired.

Another approach, which doesn't necessarily involve the API, is to use a Network Feed object.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events