Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nüüül
Advisor

Basic script for importing IP Address objects from feed (here office365)

Can be adapted to other feeds with CIDR addresses.

Created Objects are then added to a group - defined at the top

compares current group members with new feed and adds new / removes unused ones.

Logging is kind of ugly, but in progress. 

i planned to run this every day on my lab environment as cron. kind of works

cheers,

Daniel

any hints and improvements appreciated

19 Replies
Robert_Decker
Advisor

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for sharing the script with us.

I've reviewed the code and it is wrong regarding the Management API context:

1. Your "logout" command doesn't match the "login" command, because it is inside the nested "if" block.

2. After the login command you add a group object, which is published inside the nested "if" block. if that object is not used in other circumstances, you have to consider to "discard" that change, before logout. Or, alternatively add that object inside the second "if" block just before the show command.

Remember, you must match login and logout commands, and discard the changes if you are not using them.

Otherwise you will have locked objects and orphan sessions.

Robert.

0 Kudos
Nüüül
Advisor

Robert,

thanks a lot for your input. so i changed the script slightly according your comments.

If Changes are not saved, i am sending a "mgmt_cli discard".

Moved the mgmt login and logout, so there should no orphaned sessions occur again.

to 2. this group object is used. The network objects created by the script are directly added into this group.

mgmt_cli add group name "$v_grp" color "$v_objcolor" comments "$v_objcomment" -s id.txt

awk -v awk_grp="$v_grp" -v awk_opfx="$v_objprefix" -v awk_color="$v_objcolor" -v awk_comment="$v_objcomment" 'FNR==NR { a[FNR""] = $0; next } { print "mgmt_cli -s id.txt add network name \""awk_opfx""a[FNR""]"\" ",$0" color \""awk_color"\" groups.1 \""awk_grp"\" comments \""awk_comment"\""}' $v_diff_add $v_diff_add_netmask >$v_diff_add_sh

If the group exists, i just got the error :

code: "err_validation_failed"

errors:

- message: "More than one object named 'ge_o365-networks' exists."

This was one of the parts, i think the script is ugly Smiley Happy

So, I added a condition to check if the group exists and only to send the "mgmt_cli add group name" if not. So the message above should not occur again.

again - thanks. You helped me a lot!

Cheers,

Daniel

brian_patterso1
Explorer

Hi Daniel,

Thanks much for posting and sharing the script.  I have been thinking about the same thing for O365.

I noticed that the script is pulling XML data from the MS so I thought I would mention that I read MS is planning to move to REST.  XML and RSS will be phased out.

https://support.office.com/article/managing-office-365-endpoints-99cab9d4-ef59-4207-9f2b-3728eb46bf9...

At the web page, MS provides URI samples for testing.

Also, if I am reading it correctly, a change query is available so the consumer will not have to diff to figure out the changes.

Regards,

Brian

Nüüül
Advisor

Update 2018-07-13

File  itself is slightly changed. mainly one new line at the variables: 

#(if needed) define mail subject for notification
echo "Subject: "Activity Report - Office365 Import Script""

With this, you can schedule a cronjob with command:

sh /scripts/o365-api | /usr/bin/tee -a /scripts/o365_logging 2>&1 | /usr/sbin/sendmail --domain=<mail domain> -f <sender address> -v <recipient address> --host=<mail relay> 2>&1

If settings are correct, checkpoint logs, what the script is doing and is sending a small email after the job is done

example:

Subject: "Activity Report - Office365 Import Script"

################## Script starts : 2018.07.13-00.41.01 ##################

group ge_o365-networks already exists
No Changes!
DONE
################## Script ends : 2018.07.13-00.41.01 ##################

or 

Subject: "Activity Report - Office365 Import Script"

################## Script starts : 2018.07.13-00.50.01 ##################
group ge_o365-networks already exists
Files o365_helper_ms-objsorted.tmp and o365_helper_inst-objsorted.tmp differ
Found objects to remove
found new objects!
tasks:
- task-id: "0000000-0000-00000-00000-000"
task-name: "Publish operation"
progress-percentage: 100
suppressed: false
task-details:
- publishResponse:
numberOfPublishedChanges: 184
mode: "async"
revision: "0000000-0000-00000-00000-000"

Done! Installing Policy!

DONE
################## Script ends : 2018.07.13-00.50.01 ##################

not that ugly anymore Smiley Happy

Daniel

Nüüül
Advisor

Hi Brian,

thanks for your input. i did let the script run against the URL mentioned by MS:

https://endpoints.office.com/endpoints/worldwide?clientrequestid=b10c5ed1-bad1-445f-b386-b919946339a... 

did work so far, as ip addresses are still in CIDR Smiley Happy

Regarding the changes only "feed", that might be good, but, if you miss one update, you will sooner or later run into problems. therefore I´d stay at the full list and compare it against the actual installed policy.

The diff does not produce heavy load so does not hurt...

And the script still is able to be adapted, when someone needs something similar, he just adds a text file on a webserver, containing addresses...

it looks like, MS is still in developing mode on this, will check in a month or so and adjust the feed URL.

Cheers,

Daniel

0 Kudos
Theis_Andersen_
Explorer

Daniel, could you post it on GitHub?

0 Kudos
Nick_Mandafouni
Participant

Thanks for this, much needed indeed. Would you be able to group these IP addresses into individual Groups? i.e. we need to have traffic to Skype for Business /Teams to bypass our proxies whereas the rest of the O365 can go through them. It would be good if this IP address feed could be split into different MS groups like SfB, Exchange, Sharepoint, etc..    

0 Kudos
Nüüül
Advisor

This will be possible with the newer feed which is an API output.

There are titles like 

"serviceArea": "Exchange",    "serviceAreaDisplayName": "Exchange Online", 

With this given, you should be able to i.e. grep the "Exchange Online" and set it into the group name...

Daniel

0 Kudos
Nüüül
Advisor

What I just learned at the Tech Talks to R80.20.M1, there will arrive a good possibility for such updated cloud targets (office365, amazon and so on).

https://community.checkpoint.com/message/22778-new-cloudguard-iaas-features-with-r8020m1-smartconsol...  <-- look at the screenshot, the network objects menu opened has an entry "online services"

Tomer clicked through a bit, there were different service types, like skype or Exchange Online...

Maybe will have a look later this or next week in my lab...

Nüüül
Advisor

Hi,

According to the Security Management Guide - ( Security Management R80.20.M1 Administration Guide 😞

1. the Online Services are supported on Gateways running R80.20 or higher. <-- so at the moment i cannot test it in my lab
  2. the addresses are automatically updated, without needing a policy push ore something, which is good...
  3. Activities like updated addresses are visible in the log. which is good.

So another good point for discussing gateway upgrades to R80.20 Smiley Happy - when it is GA

Daniel

Nüüül
Advisor

Hi all,

just updated the script regarding the new feed from Microsoft and for CP Version R80.20

#This machine version R80.20, uncomment the next line

source /opt/CPshrd-R80.20/tmp/.CPprofile.sh

#If this machine version R80.10, uncomment the line below

#source /opt/CPshrd-R80/tmp/.CPprofile.sh

(In case you want to use the script, even though the updatable objects at R80.20) Smiley Happy

should be ok, to change / uncomment while implementing the script following the word document, which can be found at the github (latest Script and Implementation Document. (GitHub - leinadred/IPaddressFeed2CheckPointAPI: Adding a IP Address feed (CIDR) into Checkpoint Obje...  )

Paul_Hagyard
Advisor

Re the environment variables, how about:

. /etc/profile.d/CP.sh

Note the space between the "." and the script name

Saves you having to update the script after upgrades as CP.sh always points to the correct file location.

0 Kudos
Cody_Ray
Participant

Is it possible to install policy to multiple cluster objects?  If so, how should the variable v_poltarget be assigned?  API mentions List: string.

v_poltarget=primarytarget secondarytarget

Excellent work btw.

0 Kudos
Nüüül
Advisor

Thanks Cody!

sure, you can add to the header:

v_poltarget1=primarytarget

v_poltarget2=secondarytarget

v_poltarget3=tertiarytarget

Then, row 137

mgmt_cli install-policy policy-package "$v_polpack" access true threat-prevention true targets.1 "$v_poltarget1" -s id.txt

mgmt_cli install-policy policy-package "$v_polpack" access true threat-prevention true targets.1 "$v_poltarget2" -s id.txt

mgmt_cli install-policy policy-package "$v_polpack" access true threat-prevention true targets.1 "$v_poltarget3" -s id.txt

not sure if

mgmt_cli install-policy policy-package "$v_polpack" access true threat-prevention true targets.1 "$v_poltarget1" targets.2 "$v_poltarget2" targets.3 "$v_poltarget3" -s id.txt

works. If you want to try it and tell me if it works Smiley Happy

Cody_Ray
Participant

Single line doesn't work.  You must enter it in as:

mgmt_cli install-policy policy-package "$v_polpack" access true threat-prevention true targets.1 "$v_poltarget1" -s id.txt

mgmt_cli install-policy policy-package "$v_polpack" access true threat-prevention true targets.1 "$v_poltarget2" -s id.txt

mgmt_cli install-policy policy-package "$v_polpack" access true threat-prevention true targets.1 "$v_poltarget3" -s id.txt

Thanks again

Nüüül
Advisor

Thanks for checking and sharing!

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

Hi All,

For future reference please be aware of the following related articles:

sk131852 - Updatable Objects in R80.20 

sk135572 - Microsoft Office 365 objects as Network Objects in R80.20 

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
Nüüül
Advisor

Hi,

thanks, in this thread it is mentioned multiple times, that there is an ability of using the updatable objects with Gateways and Management on R80.20.

Although the script can be used for other sources (i.e. API Export from IP Address Management), as long as the output there is CIDR formatted.

Daniel

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events