Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bernhard_Sayer
Contributor
Jump to solution

Which virtual hardware should be selected when installing the management on VMware ESX?

Which virtual hardware should be selected when installing the management on VMware ESX?

Redhat Enterprise Linux 5 64Bit??

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

Generally yes, select Redhat Enterprise Linux 5 32-bit for VMs with less than 6 GB RAM, and select Redhat Enterprise Linux 5 64-bit for VMs with 6GB of RAM or more.

However I discovered while setting up my ATC classroom under VMWare Workstation 10 or later, that selecting "Machine Info" will crash the Gaia install as described in sk104011: Viewing Machine Info during installation process causes crash

There is a hotfix available, or you can select Other/Other for the VM type as a workaround.   Selecting Other/Other forces the use of the older Buslogic/IDE for the mass storage driver and seems to avoid the issue when selecting Machine Info.  Using Other/Other instead of the "correct" OS setting doesn't seem to impact VM performance or stability otherwise from what I have seen in my lab.

--

My book "Max Power: Check Point Firewall Performance Optimization"

now available via http://maxpowerfirewalls.com.

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

Generally yes, select Redhat Enterprise Linux 5 32-bit for VMs with less than 6 GB RAM, and select Redhat Enterprise Linux 5 64-bit for VMs with 6GB of RAM or more.

However I discovered while setting up my ATC classroom under VMWare Workstation 10 or later, that selecting "Machine Info" will crash the Gaia install as described in sk104011: Viewing Machine Info during installation process causes crash

There is a hotfix available, or you can select Other/Other for the VM type as a workaround.   Selecting Other/Other forces the use of the older Buslogic/IDE for the mass storage driver and seems to avoid the issue when selecting Machine Info.  Using Other/Other instead of the "correct" OS setting doesn't seem to impact VM performance or stability otherwise from what I have seen in my lab.

--

My book "Max Power: Check Point Firewall Performance Optimization"

now available via http://maxpowerfirewalls.com.

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events