Thank you for your time and reply PhoneBoy! It looks to me like you manually made a rule exception in your example, rather than applying a different action to a protection for the specific profile. I believe that the exception you show is "Global" across all profiles instead of being specific to a particular profile. When I configured a similar exception both at the "Global" level and single-rule level, the number of overrides shown on the Profiles tab did not increment.
Profiles tab - number of overrides is at 0 for my test profile with the exception rules:
Could you confirm that I am understanding your example correctly? When you made the exceptions in your lab, did you see a change in the number of overrides as shown in the Profiles tab?
I found some other weirdness that I wasn't sure is normal too. When I make an override for a single protection for 1 profile like this, the overrides counter increments by 1 as expected.
However when I [ right-click ] > [ Restore Selected ] on the 1 profile override to remove the override, the Profiles tab still shows 1 override active.
If I instead right-click the protection and then click [ Restore Selected ] for every profile, then the overrides counter on the Profiles tab goes back down to 0.
And sadly on the Protections screen, if I do [ right-click ] > [ Restore Selected ] on "Malicious Activity", the overrides counter stays at 1 as well. The strategy from the above screenshot is the only way that I found to reduce the override counter back to 0. Although my goal is not to necessarily just restore defaults anyways - the real goal is to determine which overrides are currently active. If we disable/restore the overrides, we would want to know what we were restoring (or which traffic we might be affecting in the process).