cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Julian_Sanchez
Collaborator

Requeriements for VMWare SMS Open Server

Hello guys,

I would like to know what are the the recommendations for install one SMS on VM Open Server in platform Vmware. For example: Type of NICs created, SO when I create the VM. What is the version of VMware Recommended? Any characterist in particular. What are the minimum specs about install a Security Management over VMware is the question in particular? Topic as Vmotion, types of NICs for configure in VMware, parameters especially in Vmware. Which virtual hardware should be selected when installing the management on VMware ESX? 

For example vSphere ESXi VM configuration in particular (i.e. Linux distro and version).?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

Please start by reviewing sk104848 & sk142733

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
Julian_Sanchez
Collaborator

Thanks, it was very useful. 

For disk I am planning to use Thick Provisioned. I understand that VMotion is not supported. I have a question If I am planning to use specs similar to Smart1-625 it have 4T in raid1, it can same or possible in VMWare?

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Really depends on how many gateways you’re managing and the version you’re planning to use for RAM/vCPU.
My baseline in my lab (also running SmartEvent) is 4 cores 16 GB of RAM.
R80.40 and above I’d use RHEL7 as my base machine (earlier releases, “it depends” and could be RHEL5)

For NICs, E1000 is a pretty safe choice, though not always the most performant.
In R80.40+ I believe you can also use the vmxnet NICs as well.

Officially only Thick Provisioned disks are supported though I’ve used Thin provisioned in the lab.
And yes, read the SKs @Chris_Atkinson referred you to.

0 Kudos
Julian_Sanchez
Collaborator

Yes,I read the SK that @Chris_Atkinson referred me and are the requierements. 

I am goint to manage 2 clusters, 1 normal and 1 with VSX. I am planning to use por Security Management in R80.40. 6 Cores and 32GB of RAM. I try to give similar specs to SMART-1 625. 

For version I am planning to use RHEL7. And, acording to the SKs Check Point recommends the use of VMXNET Generation 3. However I have a question. Can I use LAGP for interface? 

For disk I am planning to use Thick Provisioned. I understand that VMotion is not supported. I have a question If I am planning to use specs similar to Smart1-625 it have 4T in raid1, it can same in VMWare?

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

Things like LACP & RAID are abstracted due to virtualization and apply more at the ESX host level.

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

0 Kudos
Oliver_Fink
Advisor
Advisor

I cannot recommend a VMware version, but you find the supported ones for the different Check Point Releases here: GAiA and Secure Platform Hardware Compatibility List (under: "Virtual Machines)

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

Tue 23 Apr 2024 @ 11:00 AM (EDT)

East US: What's New in R82

Thu 25 Apr 2024 @ 11:00 AM (SGT)

APAC: CPX 2024 Recap

Tue 30 Apr 2024 @ 03:00 PM (CDT)

EMEA: CPX 2024 Recap

Wed 01 May 2024 @ 02:00 PM (EDT)

South US: HTTPS Inspection Best Practices

Tue 23 Apr 2024 @ 11:00 AM (EDT)

East US: What's New in R82

Thu 25 Apr 2024 @ 11:00 AM (SGT)