cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dale_Lobb
Advisor

Reach My Device documentaion sketchiness

I've noticed a few odd things about the Reach My Device docs:

• sk177266 has a link at the end, under Further Studies, to a Checkmates article on Dynamic DNS.  But it appears that RMD does not use DDNS at all...  This actually sent me for a loop for quite a while, thinking I needed a DDNS service for RMD.  I actually made arrangements to purchase a DDNS service, luckily I didn't pull the trigger on the purchase before trying to set RMD up for the first time.

Just to make sure, Reach My Device does not need DDNS, right?

• The CLI documentation for the the 1500, 1600 & 1800 series, through many, many firmware releases, lists a CLI command for RMD with only bare minimum explanation.  There is no information about what it really does or when to use it.  The command is "set reach-my-device advanced-settings".  The command has two options
    1. set reach-my-device advanced-settings ignore-ssl-cert {true | false}
    2. set reach-my-device advanced-settings reach-my-device-server-addr <URL>

Anyone have any idea what these advanced settings are actually doing?

Thanks!

Dale

7 Replies
Dale_Lobb
Advisor

A couple of other RMD CLI commands that also have inadiquate description:

• set reach-my-device [ get-tunnel-mode-interval 0-86400 ]
  • set reach-my-device [ poll-interval 0-60 ]
0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

RMD does not require using an external DDNS server.

0 Kudos
Dale_Lobb
Advisor

Can we get the SK updated?

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

In most cases, you would just enable the checkbox in Device > DDNS & Device Access > Reach My Device and that's it.
There's nothing else you need to configure except for maybe the hostname used.

Based on a quick search of SK and existing TAC cases, I see no usage of these commands at all.
I assume, therefore, these commands aren't necessary in day-to-day usage and largely exist for troubleshooting or QA purposes.
That would explain why the documentation on these commands is...sparse.

If you'd like to see the documentation updated, use the Feedback link in the "Important Information" section of the relevant document.
I assume this is the document you'd like to see updated: https://sc1.checkpoint.com/documents/SMB_R81.10.X/CLI/EN/Content/Front-Matter/Front-Matter-Important... 

0 Kudos
Dale_Lobb
Advisor

Well, yes, I think that CLI documentation should have more info about what the commands do and when and why one would use those them.  If they are only used for troubleshooting, then it should say that.  So, OK, I'll send in some feedback for this.

But more than that, I think the SK at https://support.checkpoint.com/results/sk/sk177266 needs to be updated to remove the errant reference to the checkmates DDNS article.

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

I have mixed feelings about it myself, but I can see how it might be confusing.
I've submitted feedback on that. 

0 Kudos
Dale_Lobb
Advisor

It looks like the link to the DDNS article was removed from sk177266 .  Thanks.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events