cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor

Difference between clean install and upgrade via CPUSE

Jump to solution

Hi Team, 

I need to know what is the difference between clean install via CPUSE and upgrade via CPUSE on a security gateway.  

As far i understand we have 3 ways to upgrade a security gateway.

1. CPUSE Upgrade 

2.CPUSE - Clean Install

3.Clean install via USB 

Using  option 3  will get the system to xfs filesystem and the other two options wont. Option 3 is nearly impossible in our environment  but are there a advantages of the new file system. If there is an SK or link that points out the difference between the existing file system and xfs file system,

Also,how upgrading via blink image make a difference and should it be considered .  ?

Using  option 3 (Clean install via USB)  we cant revert back but if we use CPUSE - upgrade option we can revert back do we have the same option to revert back using CPUSE clean install. 

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Employee+
Employee+

Hi

A very short highlight of the differences:

USB - Reformatting the system. New file system. New definition of partition size. New IP. New role (i.e. GW can become management etc.) Nothing is left from the previous installation.

CPUSE Clean - Create a new partition for the new version and install it. The old partition still exists so you can easily revert. Partition sizes are kept as well as files which are not in the "current" partition.

CPUSE Upgrade - Exactly like clean install but at the end of the process a configuration migration is done so the machine expected to stay with same functionality (i.e. you can't change GW to Management etc.)

Blink - Mainly a shortcut to make installation faster in case installation of version + Jumbo is required. The terms clean/upgrade are same as any CPUSE installation (see above) but instead of installing version 80.40, reboot, install jumbo, reboot it can be done in one step (i.e. install 80.40 + jumbo and reboot).

View solution in original post

There is also one more option - Mount ISO file over LOM.

It will do the same like was mentioned by Boaz for USB option, but in case of LOM, you can do it remotely, without having physical access to the device.

Kind regards,
Jozko Mrkvicka

5 Replies

Hi @Sijeel,

All upgrade methods are described in detail here:

Installation and Upgrade Guide R80.40 

0 Kudos
Employee+
Employee+

Hi

A very short highlight of the differences:

USB - Reformatting the system. New file system. New definition of partition size. New IP. New role (i.e. GW can become management etc.) Nothing is left from the previous installation.

CPUSE Clean - Create a new partition for the new version and install it. The old partition still exists so you can easily revert. Partition sizes are kept as well as files which are not in the "current" partition.

CPUSE Upgrade - Exactly like clean install but at the end of the process a configuration migration is done so the machine expected to stay with same functionality (i.e. you can't change GW to Management etc.)

Blink - Mainly a shortcut to make installation faster in case installation of version + Jumbo is required. The terms clean/upgrade are same as any CPUSE installation (see above) but instead of installing version 80.40, reboot, install jumbo, reboot it can be done in one step (i.e. install 80.40 + jumbo and reboot).

There is also one more option - Mount ISO file over LOM.

It will do the same like was mentioned by Boaz for USB option, but in case of LOM, you can do it remotely, without having physical access to the device.

Kind regards,
Jozko Mrkvicka

Contributor

Thanks @Boaz_Orshav 

One more thing , can you point out some link or SK that mentions the process to revert . I have gone through the CPUSE guide and we can only uninstall hotfixes not major versions. 

If you could help me with the process to revert as I plan to upgrade using CPUSE upgrade or CPUSE clean install. It seem the process to revert using CPUSE (upgrade or clean

Thanks

0 Kudos
Employee+
Employee+

Sorry for the delay.

Snapshot management is described in: Gaia R80.40 Administration Guide -> Maintenance -> Snapshot management