Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
YT
Explorer
Jump to solution

Partition size for SecureGateway when no upgrade is needed

Hi ,

I have an installation of Gaia 80.20 as openserver  confiured as a secure gateway  .

I want to maximize the root partition 

total secure gateway HD size is 22GB :

Current partition are :

lv_current 10GB

lv_log         3GB

upgrade       0

swap            1

free             5

total             19

question :

can we change the partitions such that upgrade and free will be 0  - assuming i don;t need upgrade .

what will be the impact of this ?

what can be the minimum for swap

what can be theminimum for lv_log so eventually we will have maximum for lv_current partititon which will be ?

Thanks a lot

YT

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Omer_Woloch
Employee
Employee

Hi,

The un-partitioned disk space (free + reserved for upgrade) is required for snapshots and upgrades, but not for JHF or Hotfix installations, so, if you leave 0 free space, you will not be able to upgrade the machine, but will still be able to install hotfixes and JHFs.

Having said that, it is a good practice to create snapshots for recovery purposes, so I strongly recommend leaving un-partitioned disk space for that.

As for the log partition, 3GB is quite small. It is used for both for logs and for CPUSE packages. You may quickly run out of disk space for logs, consider sending the logs to the management instead of storing them locally.

The size of the swap partition impacts the performance of the server, especially if the size of physical memory is below 4GB.

Regards,

Omer 

View solution in original post

12 Replies
_Val_
Admin
Admin

You need at least 80GB drive for Gaia to work well.

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin
Every patch/upgrade involves a partition snapshot of the root filesystem.
This allows for an easy path to revert if, for some reason, installation of an upgrade/JHF fails.
As such, you need to have free space for a partition snapshot equal to or larger than your root filesystem partition.
Without this, the upgrade/patch process will not work.

So, in reality, your root filesystem should be relatively small compared to, say, your log partition.
Is there a specific reason you wish for your log partition to be so big?
0 Kudos
YT
Explorer

Hi ,

Thanks for reply .

Actually i do not need any partition on ly the root one .

All i need is securegateway that will have maximum space in root for regular work.

I would need to install JHF when needed but i do not intent to perform uprade.

Regarding the log partition - if i will decrease it to 0 - will it affect on event collection or other issue ?

By the way i could install JHF for teh above partitions .

Can i in general have :

lv-root - maximum size

and all other partitions as 0  or at least some of them  ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin
JHF and upgrades use the same snapshot mechanism via CPUSE.
By making the root filesystem too big and not leaving enough free space for snapshots, you run the risk of being unable to apply ANY update whatsoever.
What precise reason do you want the root filesystem so big?
Why precisely can you not put whatever you need on the log volume?
0 Kudos
YT
Explorer

Hi ,

In order for JHF/upgrade to work properly :

Shall the  root partition will be equal to the upgrade partition ?

or can i leave the upgrade partition 0 and make the root partition equal to free space partition ?

As i noticed that with the above partition sizes i could install JHF  

I believe from your explanation that if there would be a problem while installing the JHF , the system could not revert back  according my partitton sizing .

Can I ask you to recommend on best practice partition sizing for all the above partitions?

Regarding your question, as i understood from checkpoint , they recommend that root partition will be at least 20%  available .

Thats why i wanted to increase it .

Regarding the logs i do not have special requirements as long as teh events   will be recorded to teh system

Thanks

0 Kudos
_Val_
Admin
Admin

Do not change upgrade partition size.

0 Kudos
Omer_Woloch
Employee
Employee

Hi,

The un-partitioned disk space (free + reserved for upgrade) is required for snapshots and upgrades, but not for JHF or Hotfix installations, so, if you leave 0 free space, you will not be able to upgrade the machine, but will still be able to install hotfixes and JHFs.

Having said that, it is a good practice to create snapshots for recovery purposes, so I strongly recommend leaving un-partitioned disk space for that.

As for the log partition, 3GB is quite small. It is used for both for logs and for CPUSE packages. You may quickly run out of disk space for logs, consider sending the logs to the management instead of storing them locally.

The size of the swap partition impacts the performance of the server, especially if the size of physical memory is below 4GB.

Regards,

Omer 

YT
Explorer

Hi Omer ,

Thanks .

Lets say i do not want to perform upgrade in the future but still install JHF , nor perform snapshot for recovery  - in case of disaster i will reinstall teh securegateway from scartch with saved config file.

so the upgrdae partition can be 0  correct ?

and also regarding the free partition - can it be zero ?

This will leave me with current partition +log partition (any recommended size ? ) +swap parttition    (any recommended size ?)

Am i correct ?

YT

0 Kudos
Omer_Woloch
Employee
Employee

Hi,

you are correct, in case you forgo with the ability to upgrade or take snapshots, you may leave 0 un-partitioned disk space.

The size of the swap partitioned is calculated during the installation based on the amount of RAM you have and available disk-space, I would advise against changing it.

As for the recommended size for the log partition, it depends heavily on the amount of traffic and how much of it gets logged. This is a bit outside my field of expertise, so I leave the floor here for others to comment.

Omer.

0 Kudos
YT
Explorer

Hi Omer ,

Thanks a lot .

Yoram.T

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

You haven't answered the question as to why you want to do this.
Is it that you have a smaller disk and you're concerned about usage?

YT
Explorer

hi ,

Yes, i have smaller disk space and concern about the usage.

That's why all those questions regarding the partitions and how to minimize the unnecessary ones for better utilization.

Thanks a lot for your support

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events