Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
superd
Contributor
Jump to solution

GAIA R80.40 Install on Paralells - MAC M1 ARM

Hi all,

Im wondering is GAIA R80.40 supported on Paralells (MAC M1 ARM), or has anyone managed to install it?

I cant see an option for the RHEL OS on paralells, and also cant see an option to download anywhere.

Also seems not supported here: https://www.reddit.com/r/redhat/comments/mq6nb5/rhel_8_arm64_on_a_mackbook_air_m1/

I just thought Id open it up here on the off chance someone else managed to get it working.

Note, Its for a personal LAB Im trying to set up, not production env.

Regards,

Davde

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HeikoAnkenbrand
Champion Champion
Champion

Hi @superd;

Check Point SMS, MDS and gateways does not support ARM processors.

➜ CCSM Elite, CCME, CCTE

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

What's Supported and what works aren't always the same.

But typically unless it's one of the supported cloud platforms or listed on the HCL your going to be disappointed.

https://www.checkpoint.com/support-services/hcl/

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
superd
Contributor

Thanks Chris. 

For my own understanding, hypothetically speaking, if I was able to get a working RHEL OS, would I still be presented with issues with GAIA interoperability with my ARM M1 CPU? Or are things abstracted to a certain extent at that level?

0 Kudos
HeikoAnkenbrand
Champion Champion
Champion

Hi @superd;

Check Point SMS, MDS and gateways does not support ARM processors.

➜ CCSM Elite, CCME, CCTE
HeikoAnkenbrand
Champion Champion
Champion

It is interesting to me that you can execute CP on a non-supported hardware platform. For example you can install VMWare ESX and use the firewall virtually. This is the case for older HP servers (DL 360/380 G8).  The question is how performant is the firewall in this case?

➜ CCSM Elite, CCME, CCTE
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

Hi Heiko,

As you're probably aware we don't provide performance metrics for open server deployments due to the variables involved.

Whilst ESXi might help to mitigate some potential driver compatibility challenges and the like in some scenarios the appropriate comparison here for this thread is probably more aligned to Vmware workstation.

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
Bob_Zimmerman
Authority
Authority

Short answer is no, it definitely won't work.

Longer answer is that Apple's processors are aarch64, but Check Point's firewall and management software is exclusively amd64 at this time. Apple provides a translation layer called Rosetta which allows most amd64 software to run, but it doesn't translate the privileged instructions necessary for an operating system or hypervisor to run. Thus, Parallels allows you to run other aarch64 operating systems in VMs, but you can't run amd64 operating systems in VMs.

The firewall software is heavily entangled with the OS kernel, so I don't think it would be possible to run the amd64 firewall software on an aarch64 kernel. It would be much less effort to get the management software running on aarch64, but what's the business case for the developers to spend that effort? It's not like anybody would actually buy a SmartCenter or MDS license to run in a VM on their ARM Mac.

superd
Contributor

Very clear answer Bob, thank you!

0 Kudos
_Val_
Admin
Admin

Gaia is Intel based system. Any virtualisation environment, Paralells, of VM Fusion, should support interpretation of Intel to M1. There are quite a few known issues with that. This is why although RH may support native M1 deployment, virtualisation may still not work.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events