cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create a Post

MIGRATION PROCESS

1. current environment has an appliance SMS  R77.30 and two 4800 series R77.30 in a cluster. and one DR gateway.

-the new environment has virtual machine for SMS ( will install R80.10) and two 5800 series R80.10 one with HA...
quiz: will i have to migrate the gateways database in the 4800 series to the new 5800 which already has R80.10. and if yes which approach , they are currently in load balancing
there is a seperate event log manager in R77.30 , will i have to migrate the log database to the new enviroment

2.in management when i export the database is there a way i can be able to also send the settings like routes , clustering etc together with the dbase

3.is there an an offline way of migrating without affecting normal processes since am using the same ip address.

0 Kudos
7 Replies

Re: MIGRATION PROCESS

I do not understand what you mean by "will i have to migrate the gateways database in the 4800 series to the new 5800 " as the SMS has the database, not the GW - GW only has interfaces and routes.

Please consult sk108902 Best Practices - Backup on Gaia OS  as it also helps with migration!

XBensemhoun
Silver

On my point of view, you could use your target R80.10 environment in parallel of your actual R77.30 environment using other IPs. Look at the https://community.checkpoint.com/thread/7914-migration-to-new-gw-with-new-mgmt-server .

Will you have any Professional Services to help you?

0 Kudos

No i will not have  professional services to help, i have ran pre upgrade verification tool am in the process of correcting the errors .  i have done several labs of the migration process of which were successful but will appreciate any input . my issue was on the configurations on the two old gateways on how i transfer them to the new gateways without affecting the daily processes successfully. i will not change the ip addresses because the licences are attached to the current ip addresses. i have checked the different ways of backing up , snapshot, backup and save configurations as i was advised above ., but which one applies to the gateways since the dont store the database only  configurations.

0 Kudos

To answer the last question first: no one applies - all three are appliance-specific and can only be restored on the same model of appliance. So you will have to:

- take notes of the interface config (e.g. GAiA screenshots)

- use FTW on the new appliances

- use GAiA WebGUI for config

- establish SIC with the new SMS

- install policy

0 Kudos

there is a seperate event log manager in R77.30 , will i have to migrate the log database to the new enviroment

yes.

in management when i export the database is there a way i can be able to also send the settings like routes , clustering etc together with the dbase

export and import from R77.30 to R80.10 includes all configurations - interfaces, cluster members, policies, objects, global properties.

0 Kudos

thank you. i will be migrating on Tuesday , i will share the experiences .  

0 Kudos

1.will i retain the separate log manager after the migration or the new manager(R80.10) can handle the logs or it depends ?

2.For DR gateway which i retained the old appliance 4800 series in r77.30 , can i upgrade it to R80.10 for uniformity through CPUSE ?

0 Kudos