Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lucaslegname
Explorer

Check Point support for Mac with M1 (Apple Silicon)

Dear Support Team,

Do you have information about Check Point compatibility with the new Macbooks with M1 chip (ARM architecture) ? Will the next Check point release (bringing macOS Big Sur support) run on the ARM Macs (maybe with Rosetta 2) ?

Have a nice day,
Lucas

0 Kudos
45 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

There's a technical preview available via the TAC with a more public release planned shortly.
The first release will use Rosetta2.

Bell
Explorer

Hi. all. Any news on M1 compatibility release? Remote Access VPN is not compatible yet. 2 months passed. 

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

E84.30 was released last week via https://supportcenter.checkpoint.com/supportcenter/portal?eventSubmit_doGoviewsolutiondetails=&solut... 
This provides compatibility with Big Sur, but not M1-based Macs.
My understanding (and this is subject to change) is compatibility with M1 via Rosetta2 is planned for Q1 2021, native M1 planned for Q2 2021.

0 Kudos
Lior_Arzi
Employee Alumnus
Employee Alumnus

The plan is, as PhoneBoy wrote, to release M1 support on the next release.

But here is a tip.

Just between you and me, and if you promise not to tell anyone else …

From what we have seem so far, M1 probably works with the last E84.30 GA (using Rosetta 2) for most blades beside Threat Emulation, Forensics & Anti Ransomware (untested, non-committed, unsupported, you did not hear it from me).

So you are welcome to try and use it if you want. I know there are several customers who already use it on M1 with no issues.

If you do chose to use it on M1, I will be happy to hear your feedback – good or bad. Just send me a private message.

mlanza
Participant

I had a 2012 Macbook Air and Check Point worked.  I replaced it with an M1 Macbook Air and Check Point worked for more than a month.  But at some point it ceased to work.  I uninstalled it and reinstalled it lots of times, different versions, trying every possible installation.  I had two techs from my company spend time trying to get it working and they could not either.

When I say it stopped working, I can run the app and see it in the Activity Monitor.  I cannot see it in the menu bar.  There is no icon I can click to bring up the dialog box.  Even when it was working I couldn't see the app or bring up the dialog box, though it would mysteriously pop up at times unprompted.  Not being able to bring up the dialog at will makes it impossible to supply the configuration information/credentials as I was once able to do.

Has someone at Check Point tested the software, particularly its UI visibility, with an M1 Mac?

0 Kudos
Natasha_Charny
Employee
Employee

E84.70 Early Availability release for macOS released last week supports M1 Mac.

Please see sk172941 for more information.

We'll be glad to hear any feedback.

cymetz
Participant

Dear Natasha_Charny,

I'm happy to inform you that I successfully installed E84.70 Endpoint Security VPN Clients for macOS on my MacBook Air (M1, 2020) and it's working properly as of now.

I'm aware it's not the exact software package this thread is about, but still it's E84.70 on M1 - hence this info. I'll update you here if I encounter any problems.

For other users looking for it, here's the link

HTH & BR,
cymetz

mlanza
Participant

This did not work for me.  I tried both downloads on the page (https://supportcenter.checkpoint.com/supportcenter/portal?eventSubmit_doGoviewsolutiondetails=&solut...).  Initially, Mac reported it as unsafe and wanted me to move it to the Trash, but I opened Security & Privacy and indicated I wanted to "Open Anyway" despite the risk.  This brought up the installer.  I responded to the prompts only for it to report "Installation failed" immediately.  It reported "Configuration files were not found.  Please make sure that Endpoint Security Installer was properly exported from the SmartEndpoint."

I tried this at least a half dozen times over the past month or so and esp. after Big Sur updates, just to see if OS fixes would help.

EDIT:

In retrospect, now that I've resolved the issue, in part due to the additional understanding I gained here, a big part of the trouble was being directed to a page that includes several downloads and no reassurance about which one is the one I ought install on my machine.  One could go to the download page, choose the wrong one and think he had done what was instructed.

Now, in my case, I had attempted and installed several of the packages many times, including both the correct package and incorrect ones.  However, when I did install the incorrect one (e.g. the one that fails immediately when you attempt an install) I was given to thinking it must be the correct one because it at least had a visible interface while the actual correct one has no visible interface.

That said, the root issue (the failure of the UI itself) was the primary culprit for the trouble I experienced.  Even now that I can use the software I still can't access the UI at will.  It tucks itself into the background and provides no affordances by which to expose it, though it will at times reveal itself, fortunately.

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

The Endpoint Security client is meant for an admin to configure and distribute to end users.
If you attempt to install it directly, it will fail.

Make sure you download the standalone client (i.e. Endpoint Security VPN), which does not require pre-configuration.

mlanza
Participant

I have installed the Endpoint Security VPN.  It runs, again on Mac (an M1) Big Sur.  It appears in my Activity Monitor as "EndpointConnect".  But I have no means of accessing any sort of interface.  How would one go about accessing the interface and thus configuring it (e.g. providing credentials)?

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Normally, an icon would appear in the menu bar (a lock).
If for some reason that didn't show up, running the Endpoint Security VPN application should cause the UI to appear.
If neither works, then please open a TAC case so we can engage the appropriate resources. 

mlanza
Participant

That is my issue all along.  Endpoint Security VPN runs.  I can click to launch it from Applications, but nothing ever shows in the menu bar.  If I go to System Preferences > Notifications, I see Endpoint Security VPN.  Allow Notifications is ON.  All the checkboxes are checked, e.g. Show In Notification Center, show notifications on lock screen, Badge app icon, etc. but I see no signs of life anywhere (no lock).

How would one open a TAC case?  I would appreciate that opportunity.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

https://www.checkpoint.com/support-services/contact-support/ 
However, this implies you have a support agreement and are an authorized contact.
You may need to engage with your IT staff on this.

0 Kudos
mlanza
Participant

Unbelievably, it's working again, more than a month later!

I updated to Big Sur 11.4 just tonight.  Upon a restart, I got a surprise prompt asking me if I wanted to install a new site.  I responded Yes and the Endpoint Security VPN dialog appeared! 

When I supplied the configuration to the Endpoint dialog and I was able to login to my company VPN (via Microsoft Remote Desktop in the usual manner).  Submitting the dialog made it disappear, with no way to reveal it (e.g. nothing appears in the menu bar or elsewhere).  So there is still a serious interface problem with being able to access it at will (this is the main problem with the client!), but for the time being despite this grievance it at least fulfills its obligation to provide VPN access, so I'll live with it.

Thank you, PhoneBoy, for your patience and support.

cymetz
Participant

Hi mlanza,

did you try the link I provided? ( Endpoint Security VPN dmg -> https://supportcenter.checkpoint.com/supportcenter/portal/user/anon/page/default.psml/media-type/htm...

On my M1 it's still working properly after a few days of heavy usage. Attached some "proof".

HTH & BR,

cymetz

mlanza
Participant

Thanks for the link, but for some reason it doesn't work for me. Looks like a broken link when I click it. 

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

The link he provided for download won't work.
However, what he is referring to is in in the SK previously linked.
Specifically from this part:

Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 1.36.36 PM.png

cymetz
Participant

oh darn, let me try again with the ddl -> https://dl3.checkpoint.com/paid/d6/d67f9fafcf92b4482cc8e31b7c010940/Endpoint_Security_VPN.dmg?HashKe...

In the Support Center https://supportcenter.checkpoint.com I found it as "Enterprise Endpoint Security E84.70 macOS Clients - Early Availability"
so yeah, also actually what PhoneBoy said.

Hope you'll be able to figure it out.

BR, cymetz

0 Kudos
mlanza
Participant

Thanks, cymetz, for the attempted help.  I had been more than once directed to the wrong download so confirming the correct one (the Endpoint Security VPN standalone client) was good for peace of mind.  I had it installed already, but the interface is impossible to access.  If not for a system update (to Big Sur 11.4, just today), reboot, and a prompt (from the Endpoint Security VPN client) right after startup I would have never had a means to see/reconfigure it.

I still have no means of accessing the software once it fades into the background, but for the time being it's working.

Yaroslav93
Participant

Hello

Today is 2022 year, but you still don't have native M1 version support in Downloads on website. How long should we wait?

0 Kudos
_Val_
Admin
Admin

Could it be that you just did not look it up? Here you go: sk176934

0 Kudos
Yaroslav93
Participant

Enterprise Endpoint Security E86.20 macOS Clients needs to install Rosetta, this is not an arm-version

Yaroslav93
Participant

Here i downloaded the screenshot i need a rosetta.

Снимок экрана 2022-02-18 в 11.20.14.png

0 Kudos
Yaroslav93
Participant

Excuse me, but what about native arm-version for M1? Will it be or not?

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Native as in not requiring Rosetta? Believe this is planned, yes.

0 Kudos
mlanza
Participant

While I was able to get Endpoint Security VPN working, including the latest update for M1, its main dialog (where you enter your user name and password) remains broken.  Every time I bring up the dialog I cannot get my cursor into the password field.  The credential fields are locked.

I have to bring up other windows in front of the dialog and tab over to the dialog.  This sometimes takes me a few tries before the fields unlock and I can enter my password.  But this ceremony is good enough, I guess, as I've been doing it for more than a year now.  It's like having to insert a key only mostly into your front door, keeping the slightest bit out, and then jiggle it up and to the right to open the door.

0 Kudos
avmorales25
Contributor

Yes, we M1 users are eagerly waiting for Endpoint Security native support. Could you share a status on this development? Thanks! 

0 Kudos
avmorales25
Contributor

Any updates please? 

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

@Kobie_Bendalak can you comment?

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events