Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alan_Long
Participant

Change from PAYG to BYOL in Azure

We are looking to move from PAYG to BYOL in Azure, Has anyone done this and can share some details of what was done to make the move? We will be also going from R80.30 to R81.10. Need to limit downtime as much as possible during this process. Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

Unfortunately this cannot be achieved in-place and the CG instances will need to be redeployed.

Namely a parallel build and migration of traffic by updating UDRs and similar I expect.

Specifics will depend on your topology and current deployment e.g. VMSS vs HA etc

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
along5664
Participant

Thanks Chris,

Let me ask this. We built the clusters as payg, they are ha clusters. Can we take down one member of the cluster, rebuild it as byol, put it back in the cluster, then fail to it, and do same with other member? Or do we have to drop the whole cluster, and start from scratch?

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

PAYG and BYOL licenses are different and different licenses on different cluster members is not supported.
You will need to rebuild the cluster.

0 Kudos
ishuyell
Participant
Participant

Will redeploying a member in a cluster cause any issues? Redeploying is required as communication has stopped from this member in Azure.

0 Kudos
Nir_Shamir
Employee Employee
Employee

usually to fix a Cluster with a faulty member we will need to redeploy an whole new Cluster and replace them.

there is an SK on how to replace specific member in specific deployments:

AWS Geo Cluster - https://support.checkpoint.com/results/sk/sk178110

But I don't see others because there is a lot of configuration done in all sorts of files to make that work.

ishuyell
Participant
Participant

Hi Nir,

We are planning to start and stop the VM for this member . Will this cause any issues?

Regards,

Ismail

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.