Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Eric_Beasley
Employee
Employee

Can someone provide an API example that clearly shows the use of an element "List: string" type entry, like multiple domains in "add trusted-clients"

The API reference is missing a clear section that fully explains and provides examples for standard value types and entries, like "List: string", since none of the actual examples provided are sufficient, and there is no document or SK about the basic API elements.

Is a "List: string" a list of comma separated entries within quotes, is it a list of semi-colon separated entries within quotes, is it a list of quoted strings that are semi-colon separated?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Eugene_Grybinny
Employee Alumnus
Employee Alumnus

It depends on the way you use the APIs.

When using web-services (REST) APIs:

The data is always sent using JSON format.

In JSON, arrays are passed using the [ ] characters.

When using command line:

Provide the members of the list as key value pairs. For example: param-name.0 value0 param-name.1 value1

Examples

The set-host command can accept a list of group names (list of strings) for its "groups" parameter.

When using REST, the same command would look like this:

POST {{server}}/set-host

Content-Type: application/json

X-chkp-sid: {{session}}

{

"name" : "my host"

"groups": [

"group0",

"group1"

]

}

When using CLI, the command would look like this:

mgmt_cli set-host name "my host" groups.0 "group0" groups.1 "group1"

Eric_Beasley
Employee
Employee

That's a good start, but does not illustrate how to create a list in a csv file for batch upload via -b option.

Currently, based on some examples I've found, it looks like the list is "a;b;c;d" with semi-color (;) as separator, but I need to verify that.

Yansen_Jong
Participant

Hi,

tried the method of "a:b:c" does not work. tried different ways, still not figure it out. anyone successfully know the syntax of multiple object?

0 Kudos
Robert_Decker
Advisor

I'll check this in code and get back to you.

Robert.

Yansen_Jong
Participant

Hi Robert,

Thanks for reply. appreciate it. i am converting thousand rules from other brand to CP. it really makes me crazy.

0 Kudos
Robert_Decker
Advisor

Hi Yansen,

Which brand are you migrating? Cisco? Juniper?

We have the SmartMove tool for that migration...

Robert.

0 Kudos
Yansen_Jong
Participant

i am migrating from Cisco FWSM. it should be the same like ASA.

but if you can share the syntax format of list string in csv will be great. i already have the excel list source,destination and ports. the problem i can only import with single object as the syntax format i tried not correct

Robert_Decker
Advisor

Here you go:

First, how does the CSV file is organized? The first row (the header) is a comma separated list of fields names, same as they appear in the specific command's parameters - please copy paste from the command refs to avoid typos.

Then, all the following rows just contain list of comma separated values.

In the case of list values, you should use the notation as Eugene Grybinnyk‌ mentioned above. Let's take an example of add-host command:

In the header row you put the list fields names as follows - 

groups.1,groups.2,etc

In the values rows, at the appropriate columns you put the corresponding values - 

my_grp1,my_grp2,etc

BTW, you do not have to provide values to these fields in all values rows, as there may be hosts without groups...

Full example:

name,ip-address,color,groups.1,groups.2
h1,1.1.1.1,red,my_grp1,my_grp2
h2,2.2.2.2,yellow,my_grp1,my_grp2
h3,3.3.3.3,black,my_grp1,
h4,4.4.4.4,orange,,‍‍‍‍‍

On the second hand, when you want to modify existing host objects (set-host command), sometimes you wish to add values to the list, or sometimes reset or remove the values. In this case you shoud use "add" or "remove" keywords. For a complete samples, take a look at the examples section of this command - 

https://sc1.checkpoint.com/documents/latest/APIs/index.html#cli/set-vpn-community-star~v1.1%20

Hope this helps.

Robert.

Yansen_Jong
Participant

Thanks Robert for your valuable inputs. i can import multiple objects now. but i need to adjust my csv list. i thought it can be done in column Format but it is not. i need to convert like source.1,source.2, source.3

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events