cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
guesstimation
Participant

ip-reachability behaviour

Hello,

I wanted to check what is behaviour of ip-reachability detection. Is monitoring tied to particular next-hop GW when used with static-route?

I want to monitor particular address in data center[10.1.1.1 ]from branch office with ping and failover static route from main line to backup, if monitored IP becomes unreachable on primary line.
Let's say route through GW1 fails, monitored IP becomes unreachable. Route fails over. But what happens when it starts reaching monitored IP 10.1.1.1 via functional GW2? Does it have next hop GW awareness and it understands that particular GW is no longer working? Or will it declare that monitored-ip is now reachable as it can reach it over GW2 and try to bring back route with higher priority?

Monitored IP 10.1.1.1
set static-route 10.0.0.0/8 nexthop gateway address GW01 monitored-ip 10.1.1.1 on
set static-route 10.0.0.0/8 nexthop gateway address GW01 priority 1 on

set static-route 10.0.0.0/8 nexthop gateway address GW02  on
set static-route 10.0.0.0/8 nexthop gateway address GW02 priority 5 on

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RS_Daniel
Advisor

Hello,

I've not tested that scenario, i understand the route will failover constantly because host 10.1.1.1 will become reachable/unreachble all the time.

You can try adding a specific route for host 10.1.1.1 through GW1 without monitoring, that route will make the ping to 10.1.1.1 will always use firs link as far as the physical/logical interface is up. Another option would be use two monitoring IP's adding the IP of GW1 to the route and use fail condition "Fail Any". HTH.

Regards

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events