cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wolfgang
Mentor
Mentor

dynamic balancing, VSX and core affinity

I need some advice and real world experience from the field.

In VSX environments you have to find a good distribution of your cores to virtual systems. Experience over the years shows it's a good configuration to allocate dedicated cores to heavy used VS. You have to have a look at all your cores and you have to play a little bit with the distribution between cores, VS and processes. But it works.

Now we have Dynamic Balancing for CoreXL with support for VSX. Anything changes with this ?

Can I set all my cores to shared for all VS and dynamic balancing did the work and will distribute everything balanced ?

Maybee it's better to disable dynamic balancing and set affinity with dedicated cores for VS ?

Great Security Gateway Performance Optimization - VSX  in the past initiated by @Kaspars_Zibarts but it would be interesting with an update regarding dynamic balancing.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Chris_Atkinson
Employee
Employee

Setting static affinity is less relevant in current versions in my opinion but there are still some exceptions such as scenarios that may benefit from HyperFlow in future.

0 Kudos
Kaspars_Zibarts
Authority
Authority

Yeah. I don't if I would dare to allow dynamic split on our core internal VSX. Too much at stake there. And VSes are really different in sizes. I'm afraid that it may lead to situation where a smaller VS can trigger some unwanted split changes leading to outages on bigger VSes.

But that's just me being old fashioned 👴

Probably would risk it in "provider" like environment with more equally sized VSes.

In all honesty we have not been in such situation where dynamic split would have saved us.

To give another scenario where one of external VSes got resources exhausted because of DDOS attack - I'm curious how would dynamic split would work in this scenario - just keep allocating FWKs till SNDs too are overloaded? 🙂

Too many questions to be honest. I'll let someone else to experiment with it in production 🙂

0 Kudos
Wolfgang
Mentor
Mentor

I‘m with you @Kaspars_Zibarts most of the time the old fashioned way will be the save way and let you sleep at night. But sometimes new features are really useful and save a lot of time.

Me too, I don‘t want to be the first to try. The systems we could try this have to be run as stable as possible. Possibly someone here tried and will share his experience 😀

0 Kudos
genisis__
Advisor

I agree - too many unknowns, and for control freaks like us we want predictable, measurable statics per VS so capacity can be managed correctly.

In a traditional gateway scenario, I would problem enable it, on a fresh installation.

0 Kudos
_Val_
Admin
Admin

@Chen_Muchtar  can you please advise?

0 Kudos
AmitShmuel
Employee
Employee

Similarly to SGW, Dynamic Balancing aims to balance the load between the FWKs cores and the SNDs cores.

A prerequisite to start Dynamic Balancing, is having all FWKs set to the default FWKs CPUs (for example in an 8 cores machine, 2-7).

Upon detecting an imbalance (SNDs working harder), Dynamic Balancing will set all VSs FWKs to a smaller set of CPUs, and have SNDs take over the CPU.

Average load calculation remain the same, Dynamic Balancing discards any outliers CPUs that may be working harder due to some specific VS.

I'd be happy to review your advanced configuration and share my feedback, feel free to contact me at amitshm@checkpoint.com.

Thanks,
Amit

0 Kudos