Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Duane_Toler
Advisor

VSX bridge interface monitoring

I'm going through some VSX lab configurations and working with VSX Bridge Mode.  Following along the VSX Admin Guide, I created a new VS, but on the interface configuration window there's no option to configure "L3 Bridge Interface Monitoring" to enable/configure the BVI.

My VSX Cluster properties are using the Active/Active bridge mode (STP), but that shouldn't matter, right?

I'm using Multi-Domain, so the VSX Cluster is in one domain and the VS itself is in another (which shouldn't matter either).

Interestingly, the "VSX Supported Features" SK (sk79700) says "VS with bridged interface" is only R81 and higher.  However, I see this was an option in the R77 documentation as well as the R80.40 documentation.  Is this a documentation error?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

I believe prior to R81, if you used L2 in a VS, it could only be L2 mode.

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

@PhoneBoy is correct this came in with R81

Subsequently R80.40 JHF T53 is the minimum that allows a VS to have L2 bridge interfaces and L3 interfaces on the same VS per sk101371.

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
Duane_Toler
Advisor

Hmm, interesting. This is R80.40 JHF 158.  (VSX gateways are R80.40 JHF 161).  I currently am using just two interfaces on the Bridge VS, but these are VLAN trunk interfaces (eth2 and eth3) and I have a VLAN selected on each interface (and I noticed multi-bridge is in use).

So regardless, apparently an L3 "monitoring" interface (aka: BVI) isn't really available until R81 now?  So the R77 and R80.x documentation for that is an error? 🙂 

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

Can you share a link to the documentation reference in question?

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
Duane_Toler
Advisor

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

The heading there is Active/Standby.

I'm not seeing the same option for Active/Active implying L2 only.

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
Duane_Toler
Advisor

This is an area where SmartConsole could be more descriptive/helpful, and the documentation is unclear.  I had to switch the VSX Cluster to "ClusterXL" for the VSX bridge configuration.  That puts the VSX Cluster in Active/Standby bridge mode.  By default it was STP, which I now know is Active/Active bridge mode.  This is irrespective of the VSX *gateway* in cpconfig, which I also made sure was enabled for Bridge A/S mode.

Now I see L3 BVI configuration.  

Sigh.  Quite unclear all around.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events