Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
subrun_jamil
Contributor

VRRP Design Question

Hello,

Looking for some design suggestion.

Here is the diagram should explain the scenario. In each FW I have 3 Interfaces, one is WAN and another 2 customer routes or Interfaces configured. 

P1 Interface has Multiple Sub interface. Each of them is /30 subnet and Over /30 remote IP , customer subnets are routed. 

Subnets Configured at P2 Port Sub Interface , is Connected Network. VRRP is configured on this Interfaces. It does not work but I am refreshing these 2 Current Firewall here I am Planning this VRRP to make it work. 

I hope I am able to explain my scenario. In this scenario when some subnets are routed over  P2P network and some are directly connected can I do Clustering ?

or I guess Clustering Considers Full Device right ? But wondering we can do clustering for Subinterfaces connected at P2 ONLY not for the Interfaces where over P2P Interface we routed some subnets. I do not think so still asking. 

Or else If I want to keep it same setup as Some are VRRP and Some are Routed and Redistributed to OSPF , with the connectivity shown will it work  ?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

If you are employing VRRP to to perform Load Sharing (not balancing) between the members I'd say you'd be better off using the new Active-Active (NOT Load Sharing Unicast/Multicast) mode of ClusterXL introduced in R80.40.

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
subrun_jamil
Contributor

@Timothy_Hall Thanks for your reply.

My question is if you look at P1 Interface ( Bigger Subnet routed over P2P Sub Interfaces ) and P2 Has Connected Subnets. 

In this scenario, Can I do Clustering ? 

If it does not I can only try VRRP for connected subnets. 

What's the difference between Load Sharing and  balancing ?

Are you able to see the diagram i attached. ?

Logical_Current.jpg

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

If not all interfaces are clusterable I would move VRRP to the switches instead and use dynamic routing.

Routers / L3-switches likely have better integration between VRRP and dynamic routing protocols for particular route advertisement & failure scenarios.

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
subrun_jamil
Contributor

If I move Networks to switch firewall filtering will not be possible right. thats why did not wanted to move vrrp to switches. What you think ?

0 Kudos
subrun_jamil
Contributor

And I should clarify that 2 FW are not at same site at 2 diff site in that case clustering does make sense ? on a shared WAN circuit ?

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

Apologies for not explaining fully.

You would likely also need to leverage VRFs here to seperate the VLANs at Layer-3 and force traffic via a transit interface to the FW to enforce inter-vlan segmentation, this may require a different/new license on some switch platforms.

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events