cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
flachance
Advisor

Upgrade cluster hardware

Hi,

we have a cluster of two Open Servers running R80.40. We need to replace the servers with new ones. And we'd like to upgrade to R81.10

Would it be less disruptive to install R80.40 on the new hardware and after the new servers are up and running in the cluster upgrade to R81.10?

I'm looking at sk107042 and for multi-version cluster upgrade it says VPN connections won't survive a failover and we would like to avoid that.

thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Thats exactly what I did once with the customer. We installed same version and then upgraded...OR, you can follow below method, its also super useful and it does work

Andy

https://community.checkpoint.com/t5/Security-Gateways/Replace-Upgrade-Cluster/td-p/69216

Bob_Zimmerman
Authority
Authority

It would be smaller steps, so easier to confirm things are working. If you're going to do this, I would install R81.20 on the new systems and downgrade them to R80.40. The R81.20 installer fixes a bug which resulted in misaligned partition layouts on all earlier versions. This greatly impacts storage I/O performance, most noticeable with small file operations.

This doesn't affect the MVC limitation. At some point, you will have a cluster with one member at R80.40 and one member at R81.10. When you fail over, you hit all the same MVC limitations regardless of the hardware situation. That said, I don't see anything about dropping site-to-site VPN connections unless they're traditional mode. Remote access connections drop.

flachance
Advisor

I wasn't aware of that bug. thanks.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events