cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kaspars_Zibarts
Employee Employee
Employee

Unable to enter maintenance mode when expert password exceeds 26 characters

Fun find this weekend when disks failed on one of the gateways after power cut. Boot sequence suggested to run disk verification in maintenance mode, but when we attempted to log in, our access was denied due to wrong password. 

We knew two things for sure: we must use expert password and we knew it was correct. 

So had no choice but to rebuild the box.

But later today I attempted to replicate the issue in our lab and what we found was that entering maintenance mode will fail if your expert password is longer than 26 characters! We used 32... no special characters, just numbers and letters.

@_Val_ - do you think you are able to find responsible at R&D? I won't have time to chase TAC case I'm afraid. But it's fairly easy to replicate. We are on R80.40 T156. 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
_Val_
Admin
Admin

I may try, but the only proper way to report a technical issue is thought TAC...

0 Kudos
_Val_
Admin
Admin

Okay, R&D guys are looking into this. I will let you know, when any progress. Mind it is a holiday week in Israel, so do not expect much this week, @Kaspars_Zibarts 

Kaspars_Zibarts
Employee Employee
Employee

I raised a case and pointed it here hehe

Kaspars_Zibarts
Employee Employee
Employee

It's acknowledged by R&D now, so be warned about expert password length. Keep it below 26 characters if you need to enter maintenance mode..

An update on our investigation:

Issue has been identified - using expert password above 30* characters is limited and is being investigated as we speak on the reason for this design.

You may use passwords that are up to 30 (26 characters is ok according to our replications) characters without any issue, however, this is a limitation we are analyzing currently.

Have a great weekend and I will keep you posted on that matter.

SergeMatus
Explorer

Nice, and how to get to maintenance when Expert password is already set 32-char long and the boot process has stuck in the 

*** An error occurred during the file system check.

*** Please boot in the maintenance mode to repair the filesystem

state?

_Val_
Admin
Admin

Re-install from backup

0 Kudos
Kaspars_Zibarts
Employee Employee
Employee

japp, you will have to re-build box from scratch I'm afraid 😞

0 Kudos
SergeMatus
Explorer

Created USB CentOS7 boot drive, booted, and checked the filesystem. 

PROFIT! 

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events