Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amrutupare1987
Explorer

High memory utilisation for 5800

We are facing high memory utilisation issue for 5800 model.we have 8 core and 8 gb ram for the hardware.

Gateway is running on r80.20 take 190.

From last 3-4 months , memory utilisation showing 80-90% continuosly.

TAC suggest to increase memory from 8 gb to 32 gb , but I need to check is there any way to reduce utilisation for some time. Please advise as for hardware upgrade it will take 2-3 months . 

Thanks in advance

Amrut

0 Kudos
13 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Is this a standalone gateway or is it externally managed?
If standalone, I'm afraid there's not a lot you can do since 8GB is the absolute minimum for a standalone gateway (which includes management).
In that context, a recommendation to increase the RAM makes sense.

Another option, if this is a standalone gateway, is to consider separate management possibly using Smart-1 Cloud.

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

I agree with @PhoneBoy . We had scenario like that recently with customer for standalone and once we upgraded physical ram, its so much better now. You can try run below commands and see if there is specific process taking memory

free -m

ps -auxw

cpview

0 Kudos
Kim_Moberg
Advisor

I agree with both Dameon and The Rock, if it is a stand-alone firewall 8Gb is not enough but cluster I would too at least go for 16gb but 32gb are the best.

Back in the old days running R80.20 it had a lot of issues with memory leaks and so. More memory it takes longer before all 32 gb memory have been consumed.

I would try to upgrade firewall to R81 at least. It just runs stable..

Best Regards
Kim
0 Kudos
Jerry
Mentor
Mentor

got the same issue with each 5800, either single, standalone or ClusterXL (especially with LSM mode) as well as with 5800 running on HA VSX with either R80.x or R81 (now R81.10).

8GB is a joke on that appliance, at least 80% of util. each minute each day all day round hence the 16GB is a bare min.

I did multiply RAM upgrades to that particular chassist and tell you something, 32 GB of RAM to this appliance cost you 33 GBP and modules are: Check Point CPAC-RAM16GB-5000 16GB 2Rx4 PC3-12800R DDR3-1600 Memory DIMM

I've purchased those RAM in UK and on eBay and seriously - HYNIX RAM works like a charm giving you 10-15% of RAM usage when either appliance setup works on 32GB RAM.

good luck with HW upgrade which for those who "CAN" open the chassis takes 5 minues 🙂

Jerry

Jerry
0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

Indeed, adequate sizing should be performed in conjunction with your Partner/SE to arrive at a suitable hardware spec for a given gateway deployment scenario.

Please note 3rd party RAM isn't supported and warranty can be voided under such circumstances.

Install instructions and supported RAM population (multiple 8GB DIMMS) are as outlined here for the 5000 series appliances:

http://downloads.checkpoint.com/dc/download.htm?ID=47308 

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
Jerry
Mentor
Mentor

btw. Chris, do you happen to know if either DIM modules for 5800 can be used with ECC or should be rather none-ECC only?

cannot find this details as my 5800 runs on none-ECC 4x8GB modules and works just fine ... except that I'm not sure if ECC could be used as well? please confirm if possible as ECC are server-based RAM DIM modules whilst none-ECC are simple Desktop PC once.

Thanks

Jerry
0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

The internal information I have doesn't specify.
That said, if what's in there is non-ECC RAM, I recommend sticking with that.

0 Kudos
Jerry
Mentor
Mentor

Cheers buddy but with all due respect I've double-checked with the chassis itself, this box is OOS anyway so we've openned the chassis and found the "UnBuffered 8GB" in slot number 2.

That means ECC Dameon, 100%.

Also, that is the "genuine and original" 8GB from the factory hence my customer decided to order 3 more DIM's like this:  PC3-10600E DDR3 1333MHz 240 ECC Unbuffered Lot

ps.

The UB in the product ID stands for ECC UnBuffered So you do need ECC RAM.

I'll let you know tomorrow of all 4 works like they should 🙂 but if they do it means 32GB of such DIM's is the best you can do on 5800 Appliance.

Jerry
0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

If that's what's in it, go with that. 🙂

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

The 5800 uses a 1x Intel Xeon E3-1285L v4, 3.40GHz (4 core), and according to ark.intel.com ECC memory is supported (but not required) for this processor:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/88043/intel-xeon-processor-e31285l-v4-6m-cache-...

So I believe you can use either ECC or non-ECC, with the latter being cheaper.

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
0 Kudos
Jerry
Mentor
Mentor

found it, it have to be UnBuffered (ECC) though. All clear now.

cheers guys!

Jerry
0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

To my knowledge this model uses non-ECC

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
Jerry
Mentor
Mentor

jsut so you know

32GB (4x8GB) ECC UnBuffered DIM's works like a charm now:

[Expert@cp5800:0]# free -m
total used free shared buff/cache available
Mem: 31886 8733 17697 811 5454 21237
Swap: 15868 0 15868

Jerry

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events