Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Roy_Smith
Collaborator
Jump to solution

Gateway is stuck in a reboot cycle

Hi

I have 2 * 15400 appliances running as a VSX cluster with R80.40 and JHF118. On both appliances, the lv_current partition was running at over 90% usage, so i decided to expand the partitions. 

Prior to doing this on this cluster, I have done increased partition sizes on other gateways with no issues, so I did not expect any problems.

I used lvm_manager to resize the lv_current partition on each cluster member one at a time. On member 1, the process worked fine, the gateway rebooted and is up and running with the increased partition size. 

I did the same process on member 2 but now it has got itself in a reboot cycle and is not coming up. It goes through the bios checks fine, gets to "Starting the System" and sits there for a few minutes then restarts. It has been doing this constantly all morning. 

The gateways are in a remote site, but I do have LOM access. I can get to the boot menu and when I select the online debug mode, I get to the point shown in the attached screenshot. I am thinking the issue is  "no fstab.sys, mounting internal defaults". Would I be correct? How do I resolve this?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Roy

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Roy_Smith
Collaborator

Thought I would provide an update to this. After discussion with TAC, I ended up having to rebuild the gateway and then followed  sk101515 to reconfigure the gateway and cluster. It did take a couple of days to complete as the process threw up other issues at certain steps but these were resolvable and it just takes time to go through each VS to ensure there are no problems.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

Please contact TAC for recovery options / assistance if this issue still persists at this time.

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend
0 Kudos
JozkoMrkvicka
Mentor
Mentor

Do you have 15400 appliances with redundant HDDs? Before doing something related to HDD, I would check RAID status if both disks are healthy.

You can ask on-site guys to power off the appliance, unplug (both if PSUs are redundant) power cord(s), wait 10 minut and then plug cords back and power on.

Kind regards,
Jozko Mrkvicka
0 Kudos
Roy_Smith
Collaborator

I have ran the HW diagnostics and the hardware all checks out. I have also logged a call with our support provider.

I'm suspecting a mis-configuration of a file during the resize process rather than a hardware fault but I may be wrong, I am looking at using a Linux Live CD to try and gain access to the partitions and check the configuration, so if anyone knows of a safe way to do this on a check point appliance, I'd be grateful.

Thanks
Roy 

the_rock
Legend
Legend

Are you even able to get into BIOS or you dont see the option?

0 Kudos
Roy_Smith
Collaborator

The only prompts I see are to get in to the BIOS, which is password protected and a configuration to change PXE boot options. I don't see a separate option to access the RAID controller. I can only assume this within the BIOS configuration. I understand only TAC know the BIOS passwords.

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

I recall password used to be one of the planets...I think. Not sure exact spelling, but maybe try below link. Just my own little disclaimer, if that is indeed a password and something gets screwed up with the box after the changes, thats on you mate 🙂

https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/i01owb/removing_biospassword_from_proprietary_system/

Roy_Smith
Collaborator

Thought I would provide an update to this. After discussion with TAC, I ended up having to rebuild the gateway and then followed  sk101515 to reconfigure the gateway and cluster. It did take a couple of days to complete as the process threw up other issues at certain steps but these were resolvable and it just takes time to go through each VS to ensure there are no problems.

_Val_
Admin
Admin

Thanks for the update.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events