DPB_Point
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Gaia r80.10 tag vlan 1 and native vlan

Hello team,

I need to add a new subinterface for vlan 1, like:

bond2.1

Is there any way to tag vlan 1 in checkpoint? Cisco switches have the possibility to change native vlan for trunk and tag vlan 1 but I cannot find how to match this configuration in checkpoint.

Thank you in advance.

Daniel

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Danny
Champion Champion
Champion

Not supported in Gaia as described in sk110096.

View solution in original post

Wolfgang
Authority
Authority

Please had a look at the discussion here:

https://community.checkpoint.com/t5/General-Topics/Combine-VLAN-and-physical-interface-which-already...

and Creating VLAN interfaces on physical interface, which already has an assigned IP address in SecurePl...

It is not supported having an IP configured on the native interface if tagged VLANs used on that interface.

I know, it will work but you have problems if you need support from the vendor.

Wolfgang

View solution in original post

18 Replies
Maarten_Sjouw
Champion
Champion
Nope this is not possible in GAIA.
The native VLAN is what it is and you cannot add a VLAN lower than 2.
Regards, Maarten
Danny
Champion Champion
Champion

Not supported in Gaia as described in sk110096.

DPB_Point
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you all guys.

0 Kudos
DPB_Point
Contributor
Contributor

The SK does not seem to apply R80.10 version. Do you know how can I notify checkpoint to update it?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Ronen_Zel
Mod
Mod

At the bottom of each sk there is a "Give us Feedback" window. Enter your comments into that window and click "Submit". A Content Developer from the SK Team will be assigned to take care of your feedback.

0 Kudos
Ronen_Zel
Mod
Mod

Please make sure you are logged in with your User Center credentials if you would like to hear back from us.

0 Kudos
Ronen_Zel
Mod
Mod

One last comment: I am not sure why you thought sk110096 applies to R80.10. It clearly states the following versions:

R75.40, R75.40VS, R75.45, R75.47, R76, R76SP, R76SP.10, R76SP.10_VSLS, R76SP.20, R76SP.30, R77, R77.10, R77.20, R77.30.01

No R80.x here so actually nothing is wrong with the sk...

0 Kudos
Maarten_Sjouw
Champion
Champion
@Ronen_Zel this is not supported in any version of GAIA so INCLUDING R80.x, that is why the SK should be adjusted.
Regards, Maarten
Ronen_Zel
Mod
Mod

The "Versions" field is now updated to "All".

Mike_A
Advisor

I had this issue about 2 years ago when I migrated all my gateways from 1Gb interfaces to 10Gb and started trunking on the 10G interfaces. For some reason a predecessor of mine thought it to be a good idea and use VLAN 1 as an ID for the main subnet. 

I didn't realize that a bond0.1 could not be used until the night of cut over. What I did to work around this was, on the switch side, made the native VLAN on the interface to be 1, and allowed all the other VLAN's I wanted to tag. So the IP on my main bond0 would be the native IP on VLAN 1.

DPB_Point
Contributor
Contributor

Good workaround, I have configured L3 at bond interface too then change native vlan to be ID 1 at the switch side.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Mike_A
Advisor

Glad it worked! 

0 Kudos
Wolfgang
Authority
Authority

Please had a look at the discussion here:

https://community.checkpoint.com/t5/General-Topics/Combine-VLAN-and-physical-interface-which-already...

and Creating VLAN interfaces on physical interface, which already has an assigned IP address in SecurePl...

It is not supported having an IP configured on the native interface if tagged VLANs used on that interface.

I know, it will work but you have problems if you need support from the vendor.

Wolfgang

Mike_A
Advisor

I have a question here. If adding an IP address to the main interface that is utilizing VLAN tagging is not supported, and the support of VLAN ID 1 as a tagged VLAN is not supported. What is the suggestion on how to handle this? Burn another interface for a single VLAN when the use of VLAN ID 1 may be used in someones environment? 

Understood that it is not best practice to use VLAN ID 1, but when it is already used in a network from predecessors that may not have done things, the best way, and changing the VLAN ID from 1 to something else may be a huge lift for some individuals and/or organizations (as this may pertain to access ports changing, vSwitch on ESX, etc.). What is the recommendation? I'm not refuting the fact that not using it is the right move, and or not adding an IP to a main interface that is using tags is not supported. My question is really about what the recommendation would be in this situation to possible help others in the future before they get into this situation. 

Danny
Champion Champion
Champion

Correct. Use a separate interface and attach it natively to your switch. Then have your switch route it into Vlan 1.

Julian_Sanchez
Collaborator

Hi Mike, 

Two weeks ago we had this problem. We was migrating to 10GB interface. We want to migrate the gateway of network VLAN 1 to the firewall, however we cant. What was your solution? Because we had the vlan native in the switch VLAN ID 1. 

Because another options is use other interface only for vlan 1 in mode access, however we lose the capacity of interface 10GB.  Or your recomendation is migrate or change VLAN 1I know is the best practices but now is a little complex in our infraestructure. 

0 Kudos
Mike_A
Advisor

Julian,

Just to be clear, what I had proposed in this thread is not supported by Check Point as @Wolfgang had posted above. I think we all agree it will work, but if you have issues, TAC may not support you.  

With that said, as long as you have the native VLAN ID you require configured on the trunk port you would set an IP for VLAN 1 on the physical NIC. Below is an example.

Gateway Physical Interface = eth1-01

VLAN 1 = 10.0.1.0/24

VLAN 2 = 10.0.2.0/24

VLAN 3 = 10.0.3.0/24

clish commands

set interface eth1-01 state on

add interface eth1-01 vlan 2

add interface eth1-01 vlan 3

set interface eth1-01 ipv4-address 10.0.1.1 mask-length 24

set interface eth1-01.2 ipv4-address 10.0.2.1 mask-length 24

set interface eth1-01.3 ipv4-address 10.0.3.1 mask-length 24

The line highlighted in RED is what is not supported when you are using a trunk on eth1-01. 

Hope this helps/explains. 

- Mike 

Sanjay_S
Advisor

Hi All,

We are facing issues with VLAN 1 in CP1550 embedded device. So even this device doesn't support the VLAN1 as it treat as native vlan 1 by default?

Regards,

Sanjay S

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events