Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tom_Cripps
Advisor

Ethernet-Over-IP = bane of my life

Anyone been involved with handling ethernet-over-ip through a firewall? Currently we have two two CPU cores handling this traffic as it is a bidirectional tunnel and this isn't hogging CPU performance but adding unnecessary load to CPU cores. Anyone seen this before or worked on it? 

It needs to traverse an inside interface through the routing engine to an DMZ interface and doesn't appear to be being handled well at all by SecureXL if not at all.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

Depending on security requirements perhaps look at if fast accel might be an effective solution per sk156672.

Mind you this is a sledge hammer approach and should be diagnosed further prior with TAC.

In future releases we are introducing new features to contend with large flows per:

https://community.checkpoint.com/t5/Security-Gateways/Quantum-HyperFlow-Now-in-EA/td-p/138544

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
Tom_Cripps
Advisor

Will take a look more into that SK, seems some what feasible

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

Only TCP and UDP-based sessions can be accelerated by SecureXL.  If your Ethernet-over-IP implementation is using GRE for the transport, it cannot be accelerated at all and must go F2F.

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
Tom_Cripps
Advisor

I don't believe it is. The traffic is a Cisco Mobility Anchor configuration if you are familiar with that concept. 

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

CAPWAP used to be UDP iirc but that's different to EoIP unless I'm missing something...

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

Looks like these are the ports/protocols involved with Cisco Mobility Groups:

• UDP 16666 for tunnel control traffic

• IP protocol 97 for user data traffic

• UDP 161 and 162 for SNMP

I just tried to add these first two to the fast_accel table on R80.40, and it allowed me to do so.  Whether it will actually work is another matter so you'll just have to try it and see what happens, you can use fwaccel conns to see if these Mobility connections are fully accelerated.  Very curious to see if the IP Protocol 97 one works as my understanding is that SecureXL can only handle TCP and UDP in the accelerated path, but perhaps fast_accel rules are an exception to that:

[Expert@R8040GW:0]# fw ctl fast_accel show_table

------------------------------------ FIREWALL FAST ACCEL TABLE ------------------------------------
# Source IP Destination IP D-Port Protocol Hit count
---- ------------------ ------------------ ------ -------- -----------
1) 1.1.1.1/32 2.2.2.0/24 16666 17 0
2) 1.1.1.1/32 2.2.2.0/24 any 97 0

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events